Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preferred routers/firewalls for SIP on IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidshokk

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
GB
Hi

We are considering ditching draytek routers for Avaya IPO SIP installations, due to suspecting them to be at fault for a number of issues we face.

The question is, what do we use instead? We currently use the draytek firewall routers in house and for installs, so don't have a separate firewall, however we have been advised that Juniper firewalls work well with SIP. I don't know if these are a viable/quick solution for IPO installs though, due to the amount of configuration required on them.

What are the quickest/simplesT/most stable and reliable routers/firewalls for IPO SIP?

Yes, but you must not scrimp on infrastructure. its amazing how many people run their whole voice link / trunk on a £ 30 to 100 router. If your customer has already spent £000 on the phone system why cut corners on cheap routers and firewalls?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

I'd like to put a Watchguard in here, or something similar. But honestly, my Buffalo running dd-wrt works great! I've had some good success with the Sonic walls as long as you turn on/off some things; last one we did was a tz150 I think.

-Austin
ACE: Implement IP Office
qrcode.png

HSM is right.
We don't use a VPN and that is why we use the Cisco's
A SIP trunk is the vain of your telephone solution.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I wouldn't call a Cisco 800's cheap:) The WD XTM25 is £550.

Kind regards

Gunnar

I've done SIP trunks successfully through Sonicwall TZ series firewalls. Enabled the ALG and NAT on the needed ports, all has been good.

New England Communications

Gunnar, cheap is swearing in a church :)
A reliable SIP trunk needs a dedicated SDSL or ethernet connection with a proper router.
A ADSL woth a Dlink router is not that :)

BAZINGA!

Well, if one has to settle for a SDSL here, they get a Ciaco 800 for free from the provider. But fiber is way cheaper, but you have to buy router and FW your self.

Depending on the purpose, customer choose HW.

Kind regards

Gunnar

Any thoughts on implementing a juniper which has adsl connectivity?

Am I right in thinking sonic wall firewalls cause more problems than they solve with SIP?

Tlpeter,

what is your acl and port forwarding setup for sip trunking on a cisco 88x. Do you forward al the rtp ports as well? If so i am currious how you do this.

Also do you use these for remote extentions?

Gr Spekkert

On a cisco 800 series, turn the firewall off. Just use NAT - its easier and just as secure. :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

We don't do all of that as we only use the Cisco router for the dedicated SDSL.
It is SIP only or when there is also an internet connection on it with vlans and qos.
No forwarding etc.

BAZINGA!

Was going to purchase one of the netgear routers mentioned above, however just noticed it doesn't take ADSL connections. Whats recommended as a direct replacement for the draytek vigor in and around the 200 quid mark for testing/roll out on new Avaya SIP installs?

Are you talking about having FW/Router/ADSL-modem all-in-one?
The Netgear I tested was on a SDSL, but there was an external modem involved.

Maybe Cisco 886VA? It's about £250.

Kind regards

Gunnar

Hi

Yes that's what we currently have on the adsl line dedicated to SIP calls.

We are considering implementing a decent firewall but that will require quite a bit of investment it seems and we will probably go for watchguard based on the above. Initially we just want to try and confirm if our suspicions about the drayteks are correct when it comes to SIP so are looking for a direct replacement.

We have replaced Drayteks for this reason. Unreliable SIP connectivity. Found the router just gives up routing the traffic.

Where did you get your quote for the WG from?

If you want a decent service, then invest in decent kit. The direct replacement for your Draytek would be an 800 series router. They are good but if you are not experienced in this area, can be a little tricky to set up at first. Cisco being Cisco, they have their own rules and ways, and vastly different to most other routers.

If you want a site reference where a customer has three sites, busy taxi firm, used Drayteks to connect up via VPN, would have to get out of bed every other night at 3am to reboot everything because it would always fall over somewhere. I told him to take them all out and replace with Watchguards. nearly a year later he is still thanking me for changing them over. he doesnt get out of bed anymore at 3am to sort it out. it just keeps going.

Another site, one way speech from a CM to one remote handset. for 12mths the engineer he used couldn't get it working. More drayteks. He had four broadbands at HQ and one at the remote site. No one had any idea what was what. I preconfigured an XTM330 and the XTM25 including the routers. All of it worked when the engineer plugged it all together, and even the VPN came up, and low and behold. full duplex speech to the remote handset. All four broadbands are configured on the XTM330 with fail over and policy based routing. (one for CCTV, one for backup, one for VPN, etc.) The customer has never looked back.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back