Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

powerpath configuration problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewitz

Technical User
May 6, 2005
DE
hello i bought a poerpath lic. but i am not able to get it run. after intstalling the latest version on a windows 2003 sp1 server with qlogic 2342 i dont see any adapters in the admin tool. how do a register the qlogic adapter?
thx
kewitz

I have the same issue.

Emulex card doesn't show up in the adaptors.

2003 also.

I had the same issue in the past (long time ago)... If my memory serves me, I resolved this issue installing the last patches. This problem is only with Windows 2003.

Anyway, if you bought the license, then you have EMC support... did you ask them?

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

hello yes but it takes days to get an answer

I recommend using the e-lab navigator to verify the configuration.

This should give you the required releases, patches, drivers, etc.

From my own experience it takes a specific driver for the emulex to function...otherwise PowerPath can not "see" the hba.

hello some more questions:
1. do the adapters show up even if there is no path to the raid system, i mean do they show up without a fabric connection
2. the fc4500 is not suported by the 4.4.1 version , is that the reason why it is not working
3. i have used on different system win2000, win2003 different adapters they never showed up. the only common think on all boxes is veritas backup, might that be the problem?
thx
kewitz

1. No
2. Probably
3. Absolutly not!

This could also be a licensing issue where you are only using the Utility Kit which only allows the use of 1 HBA.

A CLARiiON, to be supported by PowerPath for failover, must be able accept setttings for the host definition as "commpath=1". This tells it to advertise to that host that it has a LUN on each path (a special zero byte LUN on the passive side, and the regular LUN on the active side).

I was never successful in getting my FC4500 to accept a setting that turned on the commpath. Not sure why, so I gave up. When I went to Fc4700 this ceased to be an issue, it worked (was able to set that setting successfully)

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

Squiddog,

I'm able to set the commpath. I do it via Navisphere. You can do it from navicli but its hard to figure out what you actually need to do.

You have have had a issue with firmware or software versions.

My powerpath 4.4 seems to work fine.

my FC4500 FLARE is downrev, that's why I can't switch it. I'm a home user of this device, I have no EMC contract or reseller relationship in order to upgrade it further.

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

I also have to admit that not having the Engineering password would have made my life harder.. Because several times I have had to enter engineering mode and deregister an HBA. Many times. I would have no idea how to fix the problems I'm having without being able to do that.

Oh, I know all about that password. That has nothing to do with my issue. My version FLARE doesn't support the combination of commpath and failover mode that I need for powerpath.

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

I believe that FLARE 5.32.16 and 6.32.16 and above should work for power path. At least thats what the FLARE PDF's show.

"Added PowerPath Support"

hello the following has to be done. Set arraycomm path and failover mode to 1

Kewitz,

That is correct.
You have to have a connection to the SAN via Fiber also from the host machines. I usually put device auto auto "auto" in the agent.config file for the hosts.

hello how can i set the failovermode and arraycompath mode on a fc4500 with navisphere 5.2. the latest version of access logix is installed too.

I'm not sure how you do it with 5.x.. I'll check the 5.2 books I have and see if I can find it.. I know for a fact you can do it with navicli.. Its on that page of the PDF I sent you.. 335 or something.

I checked the book.. I couldn't find anything for setting it.. I know Navi 6.x you can.. Theres an option for it not to mention a failover wizard. You might have to use the navicli options for you..

I know it works I've setup PP on a bunch of my boxes now.. I even tested it coping 2.4 GB of data and unplugging the path its using and the thing didn't even hick up.. Just kept coping. Cool!!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back