Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerline plugs and new router. Slow internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBSTR

Programmer
Nov 10, 2005
GB
I have set up a new Belkin N wireless modem router (F5D8636uk4A v2022uk).

I am experiencing greatly reduced internet speeds when using this router wired through Powerline Ethernet Bridge plugs compared to using the same plugs and cables with my previous D-Link DSL-G604T modem router.

Wireless or wired directly out of the back seems fine, the slow speed is when wired out the back through the Powerline plugs.

My ISP is TalkTalk.

Belkin telephone support suggested changing MTU from 1454 to 1492 but this has made no difference.

Apart from going through the standard Belkin set up wizard for my ISP and changing the MTU I have made no other configuration changes.

Can anyone suggest anything else I could try to increase the speed through the Powerline plugs with the Belkin router?

Many thanks in advance

Have the Powerline adaptors been moved into different sockets?
Are you using them through mains adaptors, 4-way power blocks, etc. Or are they both plugged DIRECTLY into the mains power sockets?
The ones I use come with a diagnostics app which shows signal strength and speed. Do you have this, and have you run it?
If you can, try temporarily plugging the remote Powerline adaptor into a mains socket in the same room as the router, plug in your computer, and compare speeds.
I take it the Powerline adaptors are identical, i.e. same make/model...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks for the reponse Roger.
Yes they are the same make.
They plug into main socket not 4-way block etc.
I didn't seem to get any diagnostoc software - just plug them in an away they go.
I'll try the same room but I find if I just pop back in my old router leaving the Powerline plugs where they are and with the same cable all works fine - the problem is just when I plug in my new Belkin router instead.

Hmmm... I wonder if the new router is poking out an unwanted signal that is being picked up by the Powerline adaptors. Increased (electrical) noise level = decrease in data throughput. This is where some diagnostic software specifically for the Powerline adaptors would come in very useful.

What make and model adaptors are you using?

If possible, try physically separating the router from the Powerline device, and temporarily connect it using a nice long patch lead.

Also, try running the PSU for the router through a known good mains suppressor unit.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Or the possibility that you are crashing the connection at speed and it is having to re-establish it on every packet.

Do you know what the powerline thruput shoud be and what the router is pumping into it?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

The Wireless N router may be trying to carry on a much faster data exchange with your wireless PCs than your Ethernet Bridge plugs will support. Can you connect the Belkin router directly to your ISP connection (Cable Modem, DSL modem - what are you using?) without using the powerline bridge connection ? Are the Ethernet bridge units set up for 10BaseT, 100BaseT, or ??
Is the Belkin unit set up for the same speed ? It may not be happy with Auto-negotiate - you should have matching settings on both ends of the hardwired Ethernet setup.

Fred Wagner

Thanks for the response. I'll look into these.

I have noticed if I have another device which draws from the internet plugged directly into the back of the router in addition to the wired connection to the Powerline plugs then the internet speed of the PC connected through the Powerline plugs is great.

Disconnect the other device and the speed slows down again.

I've fed this observation back to Belkin Support also.

It sounds like the Powerline units and your wifi devices work at different speeds or protocols, and your router can't support both - or gets slowed down hugely switching speeds for different connections.
My home setup is DSL modem to Netgear Router with WiFi, with one PC and one Lexmark all-in-one hardwired to the Netgear, and two wireless laptops. Seems to hold up fairly well.... your powerline devices probably are the cause of the problem - could you replace those with WiFi cards in the devices currently served by the Powerline setup ?

Fred Wagner

I have used Powerline devices with a Belkin router in the past, and not had data throughput problems. The fact that it speeds up when a different device is plugged into the router points towards a Belkin problem I'd have thought...

You haven't told us make and model of the Powerline devices you're using - are you able to try different makes of Powerline products?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back