Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerEdge 6650 Getting Started 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkySeek

Programmer
May 31, 2008
I purchased a 6650 (hardware only) and I need to know what I need to get get started as far as setting up the server.. (server initialization software, etc )?

Thank you!

Thank you for the information. There are many many downloads, Can you give me kind of a cookbook of or point me to the specific reference to take me through the installation process? I need a cookbook type of approach or document that can walk you through the process of initializing the server and then installing Windows 2003 server on it. I also plan on using Virtual Server, etc to do LOTS of training on the system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SkySeek

First, download the systems build and update CD iso from the site listed above. It's under "systems management."

Then read the documentation that's on the CD. After that, may I suggest that you pick up a copy of Mark Minasi's "Mastering Windows Server 2003" or some similar book? (The books by Microsoft Press are usually pretty good, too...)

What you're asking is a bit beyond the scope of this message board; this is a user community dedicated to users helping each other, not doing your work for you. You sound like you're new at this, and I can respect that, but trust me--you'll learn a lot more if you actually understand what you're doing and why, instead of just following a "cookbook.

I concur.
The first thing is to set up RAID in the RAID controller BIOS (during POST it tells you how to get into it). Then just boot to the OpenManage CD. It's all ituitively obvious from there...

Burt

Thanks everyone.

My primary resource is not responding to my emails...
So, I don't want the work done for me,
and I don't find this reply that took someonce a few minutes as being the "work done form me":
The first thing is to set up RAID in the RAID controller BIOS (during POST it tells you how to get into it). Then just boot to the OpenManage CD. It's all ituitively obvious from there...

I don't want to get into a heated discussion here...

Thank you for this reply.

I have been doing application development and system support for years so I think once I have the right all supporting software and materials compiled, I'll be good to go. This is what I mean by cookbook.

I thought that was the purpose of forums like this :) That it why this forum is an Invaluable Tool!

Take care and thanks everyone who replied and gave me the information to get started!

Skyseek

Why would you take offense to my post? By intuitively obvious, I mean it's menu guided and easy to follow---no offense intended...

Burt

No offence taken. I really appreciate EVERYONE's help.

OK I have the systems build and update ISO downloaded and a CD created.

As far as documentation, user guides, there is a CD of all the documentation via Driver and Downloads, I assume this would be good to download. Is there any other resources, other forums, blogs, etc that would be beneficial?

Now I need a little more specific information on how to best utilize three(3) 36GB drives via the RAID BIOS Utility in the POST... Two idiential partiions, one for the OS and the other for applications?

Again, I appreciate this forum and all who have been helpful.

Thanks!

SkySeek

A special thanks jkupski and all. I will also read the documentation on the Systems Update and Build Utility.

Thanks again!

I would just make a RAID5...either way, with a mirror or 5, you only can lose one drive---might as well make it perform the best it can.

Burt

Thanks Burt,

Is there any documentation on how to use the RAID BIOS utility?

I did some Google Searches and came up empty...

Sorry for the ignorance... I'm close!

Take care!

SkySeek

It should tell you how to get into it during post---I believe it is ctrl-A when it prompts you. From there, it's pretty self-explanatory and easy to navigate.

Burt

Hi Burt,

I am rounding 3rd and heading home. During the running of the System build and update CD, it is asking me for Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 5.4.

I downloaded this from the link:

I unziped it to a hard drive folder and then copied to a CD. It was not an image. I placed the CD in the drive on the 6650 and it is just hanging, like it is not the correct files.

Do I have the right application? This is what I was referring as cookbook, just what downloads am I going to need to get Windows 2003 Server installed?

Please advise....

I may have to start the process over if I don't read a post from here soon.

Thanks!

Yes---there is an .iso you need to boot to. It will ask how many seats, what OS, dhcp, etc., then it copies the OS files to a partition it makes, then loads the OS plus the OpenManage drivers (ServerRAID, etc.) that will help manage and troubleshoot. Great tools, actually. I have never downloaded the Dell version myself---when I started at my job, there were many versions already on CD. I have a lot more experience with Compaq/HP (that CD is called Smart Start---same concept).

Burt

Hi Burt,

Everything was going great, except when it asked for the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 5.4 disk. So I was wondering if the file from this link:

And this file:
5301SMD_526c.iso is the ISO once a CD is created, is this the correct? You go through about an hour of installation prior to asking for this CD Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 5.4. There was a 130+ meg download under the same name, but it was not an .ISO file. It was a set of files with a setup.

I just need to know specifically what File or ISO, I need to complete the rest of the install. I am soooo close!

Thanks for the help!

SkySeek

You don't need Open Manage to run a server. Some people find it convienient. I don't use it at all.

IMO, you're going through a lot of trouble for no good reason.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Thanks LawnBoy,

Just to reiterate, During the running of Systems Build and Update process, it asks for the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 5.4, and won't proceed any further.

If you initialize your server outside of this process, that is great, but I would need to know the EXACT steps you follow, and what CD's you have. I purchased the hardware second hand, so I have no included system CDs to use. And thats were my confusion was. So I finally got the Systems Build and Update running (Raid5) setup and now I am hung on this step and need to know how to resolve it. I think I have downloaded the correct file, and that is what I am trying to confirm prior to going through the hour or so initialization process, prior to asking for Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 5.4 CD. So this is what I am trying to confirm and track down.

In the download of 3.4 gig, here is the file:

5301SMD_526c.iso

Is this the one I need for Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 5.4?

Thanks!

SkySeek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back