Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerEdge 6650 Getting Started 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkySeek

Programmer
May 31, 2008
I purchased a 6650 (hardware only) and I need to know what I need to get get started as far as setting up the server.. (server initialization software, etc )?

Thank you!

My steps:
Go to Dell.com and lookup the server by it's service tag -
Download the drivers for that machine

Setup your RAID in the PERC BIOS

Load Windows, supplying the appropriate drivers as downloaded from Dell.

You won't get the remote monitoring capabilities that OM has, but I use other software for that anyway.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

All my customers use OpenManage. What do you use to monitor rebuilding RAIDs? What if the LEDs all are flashing green but one is a missing member? How would you tell which drive it is?

Burt

Thanks Burt,

I am still looking for someone to confirm this:

In the download of 3.4 gig, here is the file:

5301SMD_526c.iso

Is this the one I need for Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 5.4?

I can do trial and error, but I hate to go through an hour of installation and the above NOT be the correct .ISO file (uncomptessed to a CD) to complete the installation.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Skyseek

You mean this

OM_5.4.0_SMTD_A01.ISO

That's what you want.

Burt

Hi BurtsBees

Will this one DVD complete the whole installation? Or am I still going to use the Systems Build and Update Utility and then insert the DVD made from OM_5.4.0_SMTD_A01.ISO, and I should be set?

Or just use the DVD for the whole installation?

Thanks!

SkySeek

Well I was able to install Windows 2003 Enterprise server. The installation must have been at a state where it was ready to install the OS. I put the Windows 2003 Enterprise Server DVD, and I was able to install the OS.

Now my issue is that I have three 36GB drives in the server. I went through the RAID5 setup and for some reason I have just 2 of them enabled. Anyway to enable the other drive, when the OS is already loaded on the server?

Also what Dell Server utilities do I need to install?

Thanks!

Skyseek

With three drives in a RAID 5, you will only see 72GB---the third drive is not really being used for data (not active)---just parity stripes, so it knows how to take over in case of a drive failure.

Burt

Burt,
I do it the same way anybody would who's not running Windows. There are other OS's , you know.

I've never needed to care how long a rebuild took, the servers operate normally during the rebuild.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Thanks Burt!

Is there any other software on the Dell Server side I need to install in Windows 2003? Management software etc?

Again thanks for your help!

SkySeek

If he's helped, give him a star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back