Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powered off

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogboy1978

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
GB
I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope this is ok. I usually leave the PC on over night because I normally have a download going. This morning the PC was off, but pressing the power button would not turn it back on. Oddly the keyboard light was still on, even though it is powered by the pc. After unplugging the computer from the socket for 30 seconds and plugging it back in, I tried the power button again and it came on as usual. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? My only thought was a power cut, but we had one of those 2 nights ago and the computer came on as normal when the power was restored.

Thanks in advance.

What OS? Win 98 has a problem if it goes into "stand-by". It won't wake up until you hit reset, or even unplug it. Many newer systems, you have to hold the power button in more than 4 seconds to actually turn the power off.

Sorry. It is WinXp home. The computer was shop bought 3 months ago and to power it off at the switch requires that I hold the button for 10 seconds. I have scanned for trojans as I know they can power off a PC, plus I did a spy/adware check just to be sure, but no luck.

The same thing happens on four of my Pc's. Different CPU's and mainbords. Only thing in common is WinXP. I never investigated why, as I just reboot them. If you come up with a solution let us know. Regards

Jurgen

bogboy1978 quote:
"To power it off at the switch requires that I hold the button for 10 seconds"
If I am understanding you then don't power off like this!
You must use soft menu and allow the PC to properly power down.

Start button/turn off PC/turn off

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Your system is going into "hibernation mode". This is a pain in the ***. to disable it go to you power options and disble "hibernation"

DJCyber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back