Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Question on IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner2022

Technical User
Sep 8, 2022
US
IP Office running 11.1.2.2.0 build 20
Control Unit is IP 500 V2A
Have 8 DS 16B V2 Modules (700511093) working on this
Every Module is set to Operating Mode for BST-T7000, M7000 Series Phones
Have 120 T7316e sets working off of this
Customer came from a BCM 450 no problems with phones
I have got some strange things going on here
Does anyone know what the power reading coming off the module port should be
Reason I have sets that is 300 to 560 feet away display works you can call internal, you can call the main number but if you call any other outside number the call drops and display goes away phone locks up
I have looked in System Status and you can see it hitting the ARS table for a split second then it drops
Have replace pairs phones you name it
Can put on a 24v power supply and it get some of them going
Check power at station ports getting around 23 vdc
Change Operating Mode on Module to DS to use 9508 sets as a test and all ports work with set
Check power at station ports again and it reading 48 vdc
Has anyone ran into this

In short, you're saying that Nortel emulation of M7000 sets doesn't work on the longer cable runs?

To answer your voltage question, I'd look at the Nortel forums to see what the set is expecting from the BCM (since Avaya documentation and partner support might not have your answer). Also, does "not work" mean that there isn't a display? I'll bet the display lights up on those 7000 series, but just won't sync. If THAT is the case, then I'd say that the problem is akin to LBO...there's a decibel loss on the long wires which isn't compensated for. If what I've suggested so far squares with what you're seeing, try doubling up the pairs: blu+w/blu is half a pair and wht+w/org for the second half.

This is interesting! I'll mark and watch the post.

Tim Alberstein

The longest run so far is 560 feet i can short that down to about 150 feet and it works, works great right at port, cable test find
most of them will get display and you can call int and call the main customer number outside and back in but if you call any other outside number display will drop phone will flash and lock up
change over the mod to work ds 9508 sets and everything is find
The only different I see is if you have the mod set to BST phone (T7316e) the power coming off of the port is around 23 vdc
if you change that mod to use ds 9508 sets the power coming off the port is 48 vdc
Does anyone out there have this type of mod and using t7316e sets can check the power at the port

All that means to me is that the emulation for Nortel isn't perfect. Clearly, the modules can provide more juice on the wire (as you have demonstrated by changing the phone type). But that is a function of the software and not the power supply itself. Since "data" is multiplexed along the same pair that provides the power, simply trying to stick in some kind of power adapter won't solve the problem. Signal quality is more likely the issue here. Given the existing power and signal quality provided by the box, one way you can give it a chance is to work with a larger wire gauge. That's why I suggested doubling the pairs.

Tim Alberstein

also, those wire runs, are they going through any type of protection?

These phones only run thru a feeder cable to upstairs the length to the end of feeder is 436ft from up office
All phones work on end of feeder
From end of feeder pair to jack is 121ft Phone acting up
I have took a box of wire and cut down to 100ft same thing
Cut down to 75ft it WORKS
I also tried doubling up on cable pair didn’t work
Still testing
I loosing my hair

For the Norstar phones on longer runs, a SAP 24vdc power supply is required. May be required here to give the extra boost as needed. Look for PDF extending Norstar phones past 1000 feet. The Norstar module does not have enough to extend phones that far. Careful and good luck.
The Norstar Station Auxiliary Power Supply may be used to
enable up to three Norstar telephones (M7208, M7310 or
M7324) to operate on station loops over 305 m (1000 feet), up
to 790 m (2600 feet), 24 AWG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back