Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power outage. Now voicemail won't pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabagar

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
US
I have a Merdian1 phone system with Meridian mail.
The power went out during the night then came back on.

But, Meridian Mail won't work. All other phone functions are fine.

Power LEDs are all on. I rebooted the whole system but that didn't help either. Is there a card or service that needs to be re-activated?

Can anybody offer insight? Thanks a million! I'm a quasi-phone guy.

-Bob
bzabaga@generalfiber.com

The hard drive failed in our MerMail about a year and a half ago. The only backup we had was like 12 months old, so I was fairly desperate to get that sucker working, to not have to spend the weekend re-setting up all of the VMB and auto attendant changes.

I had a SCSI adapter in a pc, and hooked the hdd from MerMail to it, and it showed the hdd as being bad. This is a good way to tell if your hdd is bad, if you have a pc with a scsi adapter in it.

Looking at advice from other web sites, I stuck that hdd in the freezer for 20 minutes, and it actually worked, at least long enough for it to boot and get the data off of it. The pc made it easy to try this and see if it could read the hdd, without the hassle of having to reinstall it into mermail, and go through the boot cycle. Since then, I do monthly backups, and have the MerMail hdd on planned replacement every 2 years.

Dean G>

Thanks Dean.

I had a card, hdd, and software sent overnight to me. It just arrived. We are planning the replacement this afternoon in about 2 hours. I am going to pull the old drive and try the freezer trick first - it will only cost me a little time to try and may save me lots on the re-build (doubting there is even a backup ~shame on me~).

I'm sending the old card and hdd away tomorrow and it will be diagnosed. I am sure it's the hdd but we're going to make sure just the same. I'll update when we get this all sorted out.

-T

I am on an option 61c so this may not be relevant. But I have had the same problem in the past with power hits. Our Meridian Mail would not update its time from the switch and would hang on bootup until you manually set the time and date. I saw that you referenced a error message "CSA001 9 time date 4". I hope this helps. It beats replacing a HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back