Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power outage. Now voicemail won't pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabagar

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
US
I have a Merdian1 phone system with Meridian mail.
The power went out during the night then came back on.

But, Meridian Mail won't work. All other phone functions are fine.

Power LEDs are all on. I rebooted the whole system but that didn't help either. Is there a card or service that needs to be re-activated?

Can anybody offer insight? Thanks a million! I'm a quasi-phone guy.

-Bob
bzabaga@generalfiber.com

Look at the AML (ld 48) and make sure that it is up.

If I do a LD 48 and run STAT AML I see:

AML: 09 ESDI: 09 DES:MERMAIL
LYR2: Disabled LYR7: Down dsbl

Does that help? If I need to re-enable, what do I type.

I did phone admin for about 3 years, but that was more than 10+ years ago, and I don't remember much.

-thanks!
z

enl aml 9 acms (ld 48)

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks but that "ENL AML 9 ACMS" doesn't change anything for me.

I still see the same status as I reported above.
AML: 09 ESDI: 09 DES:MERMAIL
LYR2: Disabled LYR7: Down dsbl

Plus I see "CSA001 9 time date 4" and "amlm024 08" scroll by now & again.

hmmm....

It is an 11c

Nothing I've tried so far has any effect.

My boss said it's happened before when the power went out, but a reboot fixed it. Although he said he shut down for 15 minutes then turned it back on. I did reboot twice, but powered off for 30 seconds then back on again.....don't know if that matters at all.

Is there some command, like a diagnostic, that will show where the problem lies?

Any time I loose power and VM access I have to do the following.. Just enabling the link doesn't work for me.
I have to go into ld 48 and dis AML 9 (ours) then ENL AML 9 ACMS then i pull my card on the switch where aml 9 resides. reboot mail and pop the card back in.. all comes up ok... Saves me having to reboot the switch you may send an alarm to who ever is monitoring your system when you pull the card...

Hope it helpes,
Later

have you tried reseating the mail card itself?.. disable the ports then the card, might help..i have had those symptoms but usually just enable and disable the aml with the auto command, knock the ports down and them bring them back up. then check the agents and make sure they logged in.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I don't know if you resolved the issue yet. Funny enough, this same thing happened to me this last weekend. I had to swap out UPS's supplying power to our Option 11c / Mermail system. The 11c came back up fine, but Mermail would just sit there with a slow flashing green light, refusing to start up. After several reboots of Mermail and the pbx, Mermail finally started up when I powered it down, pulled the cable going to the tape drive, and fired it back up. If you have a tape drive attached to your mermail, you may try pulling it and see what happens. Make sure to do the LD48 commands listed above if you do this.

Dean G>

let us know if it works yet.. just curious

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I am having the exact same issue this morning - I have tried the standard ENL AML commands - I'm going to try a few more things as well now - keep this topic alive - zabagar: if you found a solution, let us know.

-T

DeanG,

Make sure you don't have a tape in the tape drive or it won't reboot.

bigTN are you also in an opt 11?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Option 11c

My mail card though doesn't have a power switch on it (I hear people talk about powering it down for a few minutes).

I pulled the tape dr cable and ~think~ I got father along - the ACT light was steady green instead of slow blinking but still can't enable layer 7.

LYR2 is OK
ENL AML 09 LYR7 returns AML0001 09
STAT AML 09 returns LYR2 ENABLED and LYR7 DOWN DSBL

I'll try popping the tape out of the drive and reset again. Thanks guys.

-T

No go so far. I'm officially at a loss. Maybe the HDD died. Is there some way to check that? And, to help further, what are layer 2 and 7 (LYR2, LYR7)?

Thanks,

T

One more thing - where do I look to dicipher the error messages; like AML001 09, etc.?

ly2 2 is the data layer, intell in 1st passed at layer 2, layer 1 being phyical..plugs wires pol ext.. layer 2 is where mac address info is swapped and switch routing dec can be made at that layer (lay 3 is the network layer and most common consider the ip (123.111.111.1) layer where routeing happens..not a concern in this app.. lyr7 is the application layer where your software talks to my software.. the layers between do codeing decodeing translation and various steps.. google for the osi model for details... down your switch..unplug the scc and the mail card..make sure all daughter are seated then bring it up.. some rls of mail did not have a power switch. with the aml down can you get into the mail ?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for the info John. No, have not been able to get in to mail at any time. Here's the latest:

LD 48
Disabled AML

LD 32
STAT 10:: UNITS 4,5,12,13 IDLE BSC LOG IN

I disabled the card and removed it - put it back in, hit reset right away, and then ran AX to watch. It got to PRM FOX Security Check and hung.

-T

Pulled the card out of the system and left it out for 20 minutes. Just put it back in and it hangs at "FOX Security Check".

Everyone I talk to thinks it's the HDD...dang....now I have to find an old SCSI HDD.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back