Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power issue 1100 series IP phones!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tman45

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2007
US
EVERYONE!!!! I stumbled onto a FIX for my 1140 power issue problems!!! We have had our site running about 3 years now and this guys website post directed me to the EXACT FIX!!! I would say an issue with quality control from Nortel!! Here is the website if anyone knows component level repair (like me) you can fix the capacitors on this board yourself instead of spending $100 or whatever to send them in for repair!! These caps are supposed to be cheap enough that you could fix 50 phones that won't boot for around $11 in parts cost!

Now I just wonder how to address this with Avaya - too bad Nortel is 'gone'. :(

Is your PBX and phones covered under a maintenance agreement with a Nortel vendor? I'd go that route first and put it on them to replace/repair. If there is indeed a bad batch - then it's between the vendor and Nortel/Avaya.

Otherwise, you're voiding the warranties when monkeying around with the phone internals.

Yes, that is true, but our phone warranties are expired so there is no harm/no foul with me fixing them - plus I am trained in component level repair and I verified that it is components on the power board as I swapped the whole board and the bad phone now works like a champ! So, at least this guy pointed us in the right direction. Just wanted to get this message out there for anyone else that has been running them for around 3 years and is starting to see failures every week like we are!! We just signed a new vendor but we found someone else for cheaper phone repair.

We were able to agree to similar terms that I mentioned (about $15/phone = labor cost for their team). The only changes I see on the board design is that they increased some cap voltage ratings from 25v to 35v and 10v to 16v … supposedly it was running the phones at a Gig instead of 10/100 caused them to overheat! Customers running 10/100 have not seen this issue (yet).

Tman45: I've been trying to get in touch with you about the part number for the new power supply. I wrote the blog post about replacing the capacitor. I've given the part number you gave me to my reseller and they claim it's not a valid part. Who did you contact to find the part? Avaya or a reseller? If it's a reseller, can you get me some contact info for them?

Part number looks like 54.05228.002

We had over 500 1140 sets repaired by Avaya. They have a program for this, inquire through your dealer.

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back