Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power down Opt 81 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary454

Programmer
Dec 11, 2006
US
Is there a proper sequence to power down an Opt 81 for 48-72 hours?

i perfer to power down the switch from the rear power switches.. the cores 1st. be sure you have two new backups, the original install disk and current keycodes.. worse case, you could reolad it from those.. might not hurt to test all the standby card prior to turning it off..

dc switches should never be powered down from the front power switches.. they had a problem of not coming back on

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I've always courtesy down anything possible - mail, sym,ccr,call pilot. Shut down by shelf breakers, not by power on cards or pwr supplies.

IPE - Then Network - Then Cores - reverse order back up.

*** Do NOT power off any power supplies or cards with their respective face plate power buttons. use the module breaker switches only.

DC switches are much less tolerant then AC switches, if a shelf does not come back up, leave it on and unseat the cards, usually reseating one card will relight the module power supply.

i don't use that sequence, when the cores see the power drop on the ipe's and the networks they start generating 1000's of errors.. either way will work and neither will harm the switch..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I got that, and preformed it many times from etas John, I agree with you on the error scenerio. Seems it would be Core,IPE, NET and back the same way. I did it their way and like you say, worked out okay.

Thanks guys, you're help is greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back