Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Potentially speed up form operations dramatically 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill / DigTwice

Will switching to Unbound forms and specifying Record Source with OnLoad event improve performance on standared FE/BE configuration? or only if Client to nonAccess Server?

I have same problem as Bill: One major form (Main Customer File)with multiple tabs,subforms and controls that takes about 1 min to load. Status bar shows "Calculating" for much of the process (assume running supporting queries?) No one subform, if opened independently, takes that long, but looks like cumulative does.
Anything that can be done on the query end to speed things up?.

ANOTHER HINT
On above form, I found that placing a close button (OnClick:Window:Hide), so that form is always open in the background, speeds up opening of the form (vs closing and opening window each time).

JDTTEK

Bill,

I tried your suggestion on a report that I'm building, and it loads empty. Am I doing this correctly?

I set the .controlsource of all my fields (19 of them) that are in my Details section in the Report_Open event, since there is not a Load() event, and Access won't let you do it in the Activate() event. I then set the Me.Recordsource property for my report. On my original (bound) report, I also had 2 grouping levels, and I have left them as they were.

When the report loads, it is blank - no data. Is there another step I need to do?

Thanks, Janel

Never mind - I got it!!! I was using the wrong date for my report criteria. Oops.

Thanks for your post, Bill!! It shaved an additional minute off my report.

Janel

What can I say! This is hands down the BEST tip I've ever read on this board!!! I have a form that took over 30 sec to load (has a ton of SQL) behind it. With this tip, it loads in a sec!!

Truly incredible! How did you happen to figure this out??

Regards!

Rich

Great stuff james, but I wanted to ask BillPowers a question.

What is the explanation for leaving the controls unbound? I guess I don't see how it behaves quicker since it is still pulling the query information over the network. Wouldn't the time to assign the controls via code be the same as access assigning them?

Thanks. Sean.

Can I change this property to speed up report modules by chance? Some of my reports are very slow to load.

MikeHoot--Wonderful, marvelous tip on Application.SetOption "ShowWindowsInTaskBar", False for startup form. I keep telling my users to open only one form, fill out that form and then close it. I have one person who NEVER listens and will open a form then minimize it, open another instance and minimize it, etc. When I added the SetOption on my main switchboard, wallaa. When you open a form and minimize it, Access and the switchboard is minimized too. Thus, only 1 window. But here is something strange. I tested it on one of my pcs and it worked great. I removed the code and compiled it so I could show someone the before and after. I could not get 2 windows to show on the task bar. On my 2nd pc I tested and could see 2 windows on task bar, added the SetOption, tested and could only see the 1 window on taskbar. Removed the SetOption but when tested, still would only see 1 windows. It's like once you add the SetOption, it must be recorded somewhere else because even if you remove the SetOption from the Switchboard it still seems only show 1 window. I can change to "true" and will then show the 2 windows again. Very strange.

Excellent tip,

Further improves performance, but..

Did you know it's possible to further compact and improve efficiency - especially with larger databases - by decompiling and recompiling the database again?

Start Access with the following command line: msaccess /decompile.

Then, open your database using File / Open and Access will open and decompile it for you. You then compile it again by going to Tools / Macro / Visual Basic Editor. Choose Debug / Compile_[database_name]

This will give you a compact and faster (if you have a lot of VBA Code) database.

Note, this mostly works on larger databases.

Regards,

Garry

This kicks butt. I have a db on ts that many users access and that has speed up the db 10 fold as far opening forms, saving changes to forms. Thanks!!!!!

P.S. If you change one form it makes the changes to all forms. Nice!! Thanks jgoodman

I must agree with every person that posted in here. This is by far the best tip on speeding up an application that I have ever seen.

Thanks

Two years after the inital post this tip is still helping people...nicely done jgoodman, and also mikehoot!

My first real db was working great for the person using it, but I felt bad because of the slow load times on forms. I kept telling her that 'hopefully I can find a way to speed that up', but all along I thought it was due to poor form or query design on my part.

Thanks to joodman, mikehoot and all other suggestions here for helping to greatly improve my db's performance (and to reassure a semi-newbie to Access)!!!

Jordo

WOW!!!! Thank you James!!!!!

Let me join the band wagon here!

This has saved my day. I had implemented a series of changes that slowed the frontend database considerably. I tried your tip and it has improved my performance out of site.

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks James

This thread reduce the opening of my report from 11 minutes to 12 seconds.

Frank

Wow, thanks James

This thread reduce the opening of my report from 11 minutes to 12 seconds.

Frank

Wow, thats the biggest gain I have heard of. You must have a lot of objects in the application...

James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA

Wow! Almost three years since it began this thread is still helpful!! Thanks for the great information!

its a great tip , wonderful!

Wow, a star for jgoodman00 for the great tip, a star to mikehoot for the "Application.SetOption "ShowWindowsInTaskbar", False" line of code, and a star for mini1969 for bumping this thread tothe top so I can read it :-D

My DB is pretty small, but a form that took about 2-3 seconds to load now loads instantly!

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back