Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Potentially speed up form operations dramatically 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent tip

Thanks for the star. And apologies to everyone for hijacking the thread. It just sort of evolved out of the Name AutoCorrect topic.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

WOW!!!!!! I have this form that has a lot of tabs and so much coding behind it and it would take a long time to save after making changes to the form. But now less than 2 secs!!! What a tip.

But here is a question? When an mde is created will the change follow the mde or would I have to change the option on everyone's computer?

Thanks,
:)WB

Fantastic Tip!!!

I have spent weeks looking at performance tips for access and have not come across this one before.

My current project is a multiuser project database. I have shortened the network path, used a smaller filename for the BE, and optimised queries/indexes, but nothing came close to the performance increase that this gave me.

Thanks (I really mean it!!) Have a star!

For those wishing to do this via code, I added the following lines to my startup form's Form_Open event. The WindowsInTaskBar line is not related to this thread, but I do find it useful!

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Application.SetOption "ShowWindowsInTaskbar", False
Application.SetOption "Log Name AutoCorrect Changes", False
Application.SetOption "Perform Name AutoCorrect", False
Application.SetOption "Track Name AutoCorrect Info", False

End Sub

When an mde is created will the change follow the mde or would I have to change the option on everyone's computer?

Personally, I have found this setting will be propogated into a mde file...

James Goodman MCP

Neat tip! I could not find the setting when working on my current project - an Access Project (unintended pun).

Thought maybe SP3 changed it, but no. When I opened an old database (.mdb), voila! It is there - and the forms open faster now that I've unchecked the option.

hi, I'm currently working in a Access Project (.adp with SQL Server 2000) with Access 2002 and the option isn't there but if i'm opening a .mdb the option is there. i don't have a .mdb for the database i'm working on, so does it mean the feature doesn't exist or is it because it can't be shutoff?

jul ^_^
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes"
E. W. Dijkstra.

James, is your website still up? I have tried it a couple of times and it says "temporarily unavailable."

Best...

"The potentialities of a language are so vast that we must wonder sometimes at ourselves: how do we manage to know so much?" Anthony Burgess, A Mouthful of Air

Great tip. It has sped my applications up almost 3 fold.

thanks alot.. that was the best tip

Hi, Ok that feature doesn't exist in adp but now my question is how can I speep up my forms? since they take like 4 seconds to open and there's no data yet in the database (and I'm running on a P4 1.5Ghz with 1Gig of Ram, ok i'm aware that my form is really big (over 200 controls contains in 10 subforms in 10 pages of a tabcontrol). my other question is When data will be import/enter (and that could be huge also) if that would take more time to load (for sure it should take more time but if it's in O(n) there's nothing I can really do about it but I don't want something like O(n²))

jul ^_^
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes"
E. W. Dijkstra.

Awesome tip!
Worked great, all users here are thanking you.

Hi, Ok that feature doesn't exist in adp but now my question is how can I speep up my forms? since they take like 4 seconds to open and there's no data yet in the database (and I'm running on a P4 1.5Ghz with 1Gig of Ram, ok i'm aware that my form is really big (over 200 controls contains in 10 subforms in 10 pages of a tabcontrol). my other question is When data will be import/enter (and that could be huge also) if that would take more time to load (for sure it should take more time but if it's in O(n) there's nothing I can really do about it but I don't want something like O(n²))

I suspect it will be slow with over 200 controls on a form. Unfortunately there is probably very little you can do. Perhaps splitting this large form into smaller forms would improve performance.

I do not envy the person who has to input all of that data! :)

James Goodman MCP

James, is your website still up? I have tried it a couple of times and it says "temporarily unavailable."

Best...

I am now in the process of resurecting it. Navigation could be tricky at the moment though :)

James Goodman MCP

That option was already disabled on my version of Access 2000 ... guess there's nothing I can do. What will that 'Application.SetOption "ShowWindowsInTaskbar", False' command that Mikehoot posted do really? Just curious ... it sounds interesing.

-Jedi420

A man who has risked his life knows that careers are worthless, and a man who will not risk his career has a worthless life.

Jedi,
That option keeps each object that is open from showing up in the taskbar.

Eric

Hi jgoodman00, excellent stuff.

An additional way to speed up Form and Report loading is to specify the Form/Report Recordsource when the Form/Report loads, in the On Load event of the Form/Report:

Me.RecordSource = "MyQueryName"
Me!SubformName.Form.RecordSource = "MySubFormQueryName"

Then specify the ControlSources of your TextBoxes etc.

Me!TextBox1.ControlSource = "Field1"
Me!TextBox2.ControlSource = "Field2"
Me!SubformName.Form!TextBox1.ControlSource = "Field1"

Then specify the RowSources of your Combos/Lists.

Me!Combo1.RowSource = "ComboQuery1"
Me!SubformName.Form!Combo1.RowSource = "ComboQuery1"

Basically, all Forms/Reports and Controls at Design Time should be UnBound.

On a stand alone app the performance increase is negligible, but Front End to Access on a Network, MSDE, SQL Server or Oracle should be very, very noticable.

Please let me know if this one helps!

Bill

Wow!! This is an incredible tip! I have been working on a form that has multiple subforms and queries and the fastest I could get it to run was 1 min 15 sec. This tip increase the performance to 9 sec. You are the man jgoodman! Thanks for the help! :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back