Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PopUp Browser Windows are empty 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuna

Programmer
Dec 13, 2002
US
If I click the link to give you a star, the window that pops up is completely void.

This happens on ALL pop up windows that I try to open...
I've run spybot, there's no spyware.

I've run hijackthis, everything is normal.

I don't have a popup blocker running.
I'm not using SP2

Any help would be wonderful, and you'll get a star (if the window isn't empty!)

[fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

Ever feel like you're banging your head against a tree? I did, so I cut down the tree.

Yes, even with AVware turned off, problem persists.

[fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

Ever feel like you're banging your head against a tree? I did, so I cut down the tree.

Well, i restored to a date when everything was working, but that didn't fix it either.

Bill, thanks again for all the time you spent trying to resolve this issue with my laptop.

I appreciate that! I'll keep an eye on the thread!

Well, still no luck getting it fixed... I'm about 1 day from just re-coring the blasted thing... anyone have any last minute suggestions?

You can check your local HOSTS file and see if you have any remote sites resolving to 127.0.0.1. If you do, delete these entries in HOSTS mfile. HOSTS file is found in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc."

jthiessen is right. I have tons of sites listed in my hosts file. I think it's neet a blank pop-up pops-up.It's doing its job. Try renaming host to host2 and reboot. Seems to work.

"Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

Thanks, but that didn't help... I should have replied as such before.

Still WAY OPEN to any other ideas!

The error attached to the issue is:

a disk error occurred during a read operation

I held my breath... but no luck!

Well, I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do to recover from this problem...

I'd like to just wipe the HD and clean install the darn thing, but since the cdrom drive is bad, I can't even do that unless I buy a replacement cdrom drive.

This is so frustrating.

All of the tests worked except the number 10... the window popped up, but it was empty and it didn't move...

Sorry, that was number 11... I'll learn to type tomorrow

Bill,

I'm about to order a recovery disk from Compaq to attempt to restore the laptop.

As I may have mentioned before, my combo dvd/cdr/cd drive will not read cd's, but it will read DVD's... will I be able to restore the system via an external cd drive (on USB)? Or will the drivers get hozed in the process, thereby preventing the restoration?

If so, what do you think is the best way to get a clean install (without spending 300 bucks for a replacement drive)?

Thanks again...

Questions for you before I answer:

. Model # of the notebook?
. Make and model # of USB CD Rom drive?
. Can you set a BIOS option now to boot from the external CD device? Does it work if you can set it this way?
. Do you have a floppy drive?
. Do you have a desktop computer running XP (as well as the notebook)?
. Have you installed Recovery Console yet?

Things are trivial if you have a CD Rom drive that you can slide into a drive bay on the notebook. Check E-bay, as all you need is an internal CD Rom drive that can read a CD. You can always use the external drive for burning or playing DVDs.

Model number is Compaq Presario 910US

The External Drive is an IOMEGA 52x Burner, model number unknown (it's at home, im at office)

I'll check on the Boot options in the BIOS and update you after I know the answer

Yes, I have a floppy drive

Yes, I have an XP box other than the laptop

No, I haven't installed recovery console

I agree, if I had a drive that would work, it would be trivial... best deal I've found so far is more than I'm willing to invest on a laptop that's nearing the end of it's useful life anyway.

The HD is 30 gigs, I've got about 12gigs free. If I partition the drive and create a bootable partition, that should work, right?

The HD is 30 gigs, I've got about 12gigs free. If I partition the drive and create a bootable partition, that should work, right? "

With a Recovery CD you will not be give the choice of installing on a new partition. Everything is likely to be wiped clean once you run it.

Let me follow up on the specs for your device. (The IOMEGA is enough info). Some research and thinking is needed now.
Bill

I'm sorry, I meant to say, if I don't use a recovery cd and just install windows xp on another partition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back