Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Populate on Click

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacque427

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
I posted this question earlier under a different subject but after my research think this subject describes my delima better.

I am attempting to make a form where you "click" on a help topic and it automatically selects the word from a combo box.

The topic is a just a few words in a text box like "checked e-mail". You click on it and it will take you to the appropriate place on the associated form.

Or maybe ya'll can just call me crazy and say it can't be done easily.

I take it that you want to go to a number of different forms when you click a topic ??

How about you create a table that holds -
HelpTopic eg Checked email
FormName the name of the form that you want to open
ControlName The control that you want to be taken to

Use this table as the source for your combo box that holds the help topics and load all three fields to the combo box, showing only the first field when the user clicks the expand button.

Use the after update event on the combo box to
- open the form that relates to the topic (if it is not open already) eg docmd.openform <combobox>.colum(1)
You wil need to ensure that it is not already open.

- set the focus to the control that relates to the topic
set focus <combobox>.column(2)

I haven't tried this in code but hope this points you in the right direction.

Hope this helps [pipe]

Hmm, I feel a tickle. Oops, that was my cat. Sorry.

I don't want to go to a number of different forms. Rather, from one form (which would be the help form) click on a topic and that topic would populate the field of another form.

jacque

Just knowlegeable enough to cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back