Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

policy map question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2001
US
I am trying to configure a policy map for the input traffic of our 7200 router running IOS 12.3.8T4. The commands I'm using are as follows:

Router(config)# policy-map limit-traffic
Router(config-pmap)# class slow-down
Router(config-pmap-c)# bandwidth percent 10

Then I try to apply the policy to the interface:

Router(config)# interface fastethernet 1/0
Router(config-if)# service-policy input limit-traffic

I get the following error:

CBWFQ : Can be enabled as an output feature only.

Using the shape command has the same error message stating that it can only be enabled as an output feature only. While Cisco states that a policy map can be applied for input and output traffic, that does not seem to be the case. Can someone explain to me what is going on?

Thanks in advance!

there are diffent queus for the ingress and the egress on a router.. yes you can appply a policy map at both for marking all the time.. but not always for queueing..

Thanks for the reply! So basically, if I'm using the policy-map command, my only options to limit traffic on the input traffic are by using the drop or police commands?

If you want to limit the speed of the traffic, you need to do policing..

BuckWeet

I've tried using the police command, but it doesn't seem to limit the speed at all for P2P applications. The command I used is as follows:

Router(config-pmap-c)# police 8000 1000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

The traffic across the interface was still around 3-4Mbps, since the police command is only limiting each flow. When the users connect up to several hundred peers, it is still generating a lot of traffic. Is there a way to limit total traffic on an interface to say 2Mbps using the police command?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back