Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polaroid BurMAX24 CD-RW compatability 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

grapeape

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
CA
I have installed a new Burnmax cd-rw in a generic PC running win98 SE. It works fine as a cd-rom, but I am unable to find a utility that will recognize it as a compatable writer. Polaroid seems to be unaware that they even make a CD writer (at least from searching their website). Does anyone know if it is possible to have this drive recognized by a common burn utility (ie Nero, Easy CD)?

Nero does support it. Now my burnmax40 works.
I use the latest nero(5.5.9.9). And it can support burnmax 40 speed.
Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

Well the driver for this burner is located in a folder inside the cd. The folder is called usbid and then theres a file called TTPINST_5_04.exe, this should start to install the drivers needed for the burner, then you should power off the burner and power on and then windows would start to install the burner

I guess I am one more sucker who bit on this "good deal" from OfficeMax and got stuck with a BurnMax24 CD-RW drive. It worked initially, but only up to 8X, and then all of a sudden, that wonderful software from NTI no longer recognized it as a CD-RW. Thankfully it was only $20 after the rebate, but it still galls me that this company can do this to the public.

Does anyone know of a class-action lawsuit against either Polaroid or the actual manufacturer of this junk? It's obvious to me that it can in no way ever write a CD-R at 24X, as it does about 4-5% of the copy and then dies.

I too have installed a BurnMAX24 on a generic PC running Windows 98SE. Mine also works fine as a CD-ROM. I purchased it from TigerDirect, and it came bundled with Nero 5.5.5.6v which I just now upgraded to to 5.5.9.9 in hopes it would solve my problems, but to no avail. Whenever I try to compile a data CD, it will run smoothly until about 53% when it gives me a "SCSI target error". I guess my greatest confusion comes from the fact that I don't have any SCSI drives on my system. I have tried upgrading my ASPI drivers, but nothing has helped. I don't know if my problem is with hardware, software, configuration.

Hi to all u guys with Polaroid Burnmax. U all should know that burning anything at a high speed will be risky business even if u have the top speed burner. I've been burning a lot of CDRs and CDRWs with data or music. Yes some burning software sucks and don't work for certain amount of time. I used to have NTI for my first burner and it stopped working. Now I use NERO and fine ever since. My point is make sure your medium will work for home PC. Don't ever use CDR for standalone audio system in your PC.

Most burner can't burn at their max speed even if it say so. When burning music alone they don't burn well past 4x, beside most regular CD player can't play back music burn at a higher speed. U either get nothing or skips. And if your CDs already have data in it, use import multi-session to add more. Same with music but be warn that after the first session most CD player can't read multi-session recording. Only CD-ROM in your PC will. Like I said I've burned lots of CDs and lost quite of few to know. Well if all this u know already than the Burnmax is really BURNT. Piece of junk.

Yuxej

Oh! By the way, those that can't hear anything when playing music. For intenal only: make sure your audio cable is connected to the right CD-ROM or Burner. And make sure your sound card support multiple audio connections. Most PC default to your CD-ROM. Hope that's helpful.

Yuxej

After all the negative comments about the Polaroid BurnMax32 I would like to tell my positive experiences with this cd-writer

My Polaroid is a rebadged BTC BCE3212IM.
Installation was without any problems. The drive is detected by Windows98SE as "cdwriter ide3212".

I use NTI CD-Maker DeLuxe 5.1.29 and I've experienced no problems at all when running some tests.

As I've paid only €50(=US$50) for the Polaroid BurnMax32 Retail I'm really happy with the drive [thumbsup2]

I recently bought the 40/12/48 external polaroid burner at Office Max for $80 after rebates. I have had no problems with it or the NTI software on either my XP or ME computers. I burn music CD's at 20X. Based on my experience with my old SONY Spressa unit I unplug the cable connection to the computer, and close all background programs (Ctrl/Alt/Del) before writing to the CD. I don't know that this is necessary but it helps in preventing buffer under-run problems. At 20X it only takes 5 minutes to write an 80 minute CD. Anyway, this board scared me at first about buying it, but now I am glad I did. Mine was made by Disc Fusion Technologies.

Have the Polaroid BurnMax32 intermittent problem that really bugs me.
Burn software: NTI-plus that comes with it.
System: Win2K, has drive as Master.

It would burn fine for one session, then the drive would not show up again (not detected) on the drop down CDWriter selection of the NTI software.

Hmm... so I rebooted. The Drive is not even detected upon bootup (got the F4> None) for the Master location (but it can see the slave, which is another hard drive.

Turn off machine, turn on again... what do you know, it's come back now. This is reproducible quite often now...

Could be the drive. I had no problem with a previous slower burner at same configuration.

Thanks if anyone has any feedback.

Lipbaga, I'm having the exact same problem with my Burnmax32. What is the firmware version of yours?

Also, i'm finding that mine won't burn any faster than 16x. Are you seeing similar trouble?

Marmar63, I got Internal Burnmax(32x10x40x) from Fry's,
the firmware is 0.8, same problem as you & lipbaga mentioned.
Burned only 1 CDR, the next week sometimes even the bios cannot detect this driver, at first I thought it was my MO which is on the same channel as slave, but after I unplugged everything, same.
Returned it to Fry's within 2 weeks.

I purchased the 48x16x48 drive from OfficeMax. $20 after rebates. Drive was burning bad disks. Did some tests. The only GOOD burns was with the CD-RW as a slave to the Hard Drive on the first IDE0 controller. The CD-RW would NOT work anywhere else. Master on second, slave on second, etc.

Hope this info is useful to someone.

GWF

Hi gforeman
I too purchased the 48x16x48 drive from OfficeMax yesterday evening $20 after rebates. Still yet to install it in my computer. As i was going for information thru the sites i found your valuable information in this tek-tips site. Thanks for posting this information i guess it will help a lot of guys like me who bought this product. Will let you know the result after i install the drive today eve. as whats going on with mine.

Thanks
Chad

Why didn't I come here first? I to fell for the $20 office Max special on the BurnMAX 48. I had one successful burn, two coasters and now none of my software recognize the cdr media in the tray.

I've been really happy with the way XP has worked on my Dell P4. An older external USB 4x burner has been working flawlessly.

I tried to use System Restore only to find it has been off for a month. I un-installed all Nero stuff including InCD packet writing. Re-booted, tried to burn with XP and recieved an error that InCD was using the burner?

I can't believe Polaroid makes no mention of the hardware on their site. If it weren't for this forum I still wouldn't know who made it. I guess I'll work through the support dept. and post any results here unless someone beats me to it.

I've got a bad feeling about this. Quote "Obi Wan Kanobi"

Hi guys, I found the list of drives supported by Easy CD Creator.

DRive --- Easy CD Version

Polaroid 16XCD-RW DRIVE --- 5.01b
Polaroid 16X CD-RW DRIVE --- 5.01b
Polaroid 24X CD-RW DRIVE --- 5.01b
Polaroid 32X CD-RW DRIVE --- 5.01b
Polaroid 40X CD-RW DRIVE --- 5.02d
Polaroid 48X CD-RW DRIVE --- 5.02d

I found this forum very helpful before deciding whether to buy the BurnMax 48X at Office Max for $20. Despite the mixed reviews, I went ahead and got it. It installed easily and I've been using it for about a week now, made about a dozen CDs with no coasters. It's in a Windows NT machine and I only burn at 24x or 32x using the NTI software that came with it. So at least for me, this has been a good buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back