Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polaroid BurMAX24 CD-RW compatability 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

grapeape

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
CA
I have installed a new Burnmax cd-rw in a generic PC running win98 SE. It works fine as a cd-rom, but I am unable to find a utility that will recognize it as a compatable writer. Polaroid seems to be unaware that they even make a CD writer (at least from searching their website). Does anyone know if it is possible to have this drive recognized by a common burn utility (ie Nero, Easy CD)?

Also have installed a Polaroid BurnMax24 and have set it as Slave off an Ultra 66 Control Card. All other peripheries(?) are slaved off the main HD. My Computer shows all the drive correctly, but now whe I click on my CD/DVD-ROM, Zip Drive or the Burner I get a "(Drive letter):\ not accessible, the Device is not ready." Yet as long as I have a CD in any of them (Zip excluded) they seem to work fine. Any ideas whats missing in my configuration?

My burnmax did not work when I installed it with the jumper pin on the rear set on "slave". There was a hardrive on the same cable set on "cable select". I set the Burnmax on "cable select" and it worked fine. I was using adaptex EZ CD creator version 5.1 basic edition on windows xp. I was even able to use direct CD sucessfully.

Finally I went to Roxio's website for updates. That address is:
There I found an update which upgraded the basic edition to version 5.3.

Good luck.

One other thing .... putting the burnmax on the same cable as the hard drive is not the best option if you can avoid it. In my previous post I explained that I put both devices on "cable select" using the jumper on the rear ... WELL... the other device was a CD reader and not a hard drive.

good luck

I just bought the burnmax 40x. I thought I got a great bargain at $49./$30.rebate at OfficeMax.I've got the same problem!!!!! Now I see why it's called Burnmax!!!!!

yet another problem with this hardware. I thought that I had found a great deal at Officemax. I bought a polaroid Burnmax32 for $49 after rebate. The software that came with the burner is junk. Upgraded to EasyCD Creator Platinum with windows XP and all i got was a popup saying that no cd writer was found. I have the correct aspi layer installed all to no avail. I am having EXCELLENT results using Nero now.
Alas, just when I think that my problems are solved, 14 weeks and NO REBATE. Called the Rebate Center that is supposed to be handling the claims, that is where I sent the info to, to be told that Polaroid is now handling it and they know nothing about it. Called the number given for Polaroid and received a recorded voicemail box number.
Mind you, this is a $30 rebate! $5-10 I would just write off and still be happy that the hardware was fairly cheap. Not $30. I'm with the guy who said " now I know why it's called "Burn"Max "

like this guy said nero provides excellent results. i'm on a BurnMax 24EX and i quickly dumped NTI for Nero and have no probs whatsoever.
CloneCD also does good things.
i don't like Roxio one bit so i can't tell you about that. the NTI did work for me and it's good and all, but use Nero. it can do a lot more.

See my Previous Post about Rebate times.
I called the number listed above and left my name and number. I was contacted within the hour and asked some questions of Damon Martin, VP Bus. Development & Cust. Serv.
He was very responsive, and wrote me an email that said they were putting out 50,000 in rebates next week alone, that the cost with rebate was so low that they are overwhelmed with responses. He then stated "we had hoped to pay in 6-8 weeks FROM VERIFICATION DATE (also an important, but oft neglected factor), are now being in paid anywhere from 8-13 weeks (typically 10-12). In fact, the new rebate coupons reflect that fact (10-12 weeks from verification)."
OK THEN, I guess they sound good and act sincere, so time will tell, but my hunch is that they are just buried in work.

I've had the same problem with a Polaroid BurnMax24 (BTC BEC2410IM) CR-RW drive I purchased from OfficeMax. It worked initially with Easy CD Creator, then it didn't. It then worked with the native NTC software--then it didn't. I upgraded ASPI drivers, Easy CD Creator, etc. I finally downloaded a new BurnMax24 driver from:

This seems to have done the trick so far.

To Chen2
Do you have the BurnMAX24 External as that is the only driver I see at the website you pointed to.
I just used an RMA to return a BurnMAX24 Internal, corrupted
previous files on a CD-RW, would not format a new blank CD-RW, just never seemed to have any power.

I've got the same burner - BurnMAX24EX and like everyone else I thought I got a good deal. My problem's a little different. The NTI software works fine to make a regular CDR disk and I've had not problem. However, I can not make a CDRW disk. The software hangs up and freezes. Anyone know of some good software that will work with this burner for making CDRW's?

I had the same problem: not finding the burner as a cd-rw drive, but with a BurnMAX40. I got mine for $50 with a $30 mail-in rebate ($20!!!!). Anyways, I read all of the posts and finally fixed the problem.
I went to Nero's website, and download the latest demo version of Nero Burning Rom, tryed again, and it worked. No flaws. I knew from the second I started up that NTI software it was cr@p... I don't know if the drive works with other software...

Here's my big problem: I was trying to upgrade Win98 to Win2000 using a CD. Everthing was going well in Windows until the software needs to do a reboot. When I did a reboot, the system is stuck in DOS! Because I just found out that the Polaroid BurnMax24 does not work in Dos environment...now what??? I keep having to choose Win98 when booting up or else it'll try to boot up with Win2000 and I'll be stuck in a BLUE Screen. Please help. Email me at bearish2000@yahoo.com

Well, this is the weirdest thing. I unplugged the PC and now it works fine. I don't get it because I shut it down and let it sit there for a while and it didn't work, but after I unplugged it it was fine. This may just be a fluke and it might start acting up again, but it works now. I love when problems fix themselves! C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN

This burner is nothing but trouble. As the saying goes...You get what you pay for. I'm sorry that I just didn't wait to save enough money for another HP CD-RW. Not only does HP make good burners, their website is GREAT when you have any problems with any of their products.

I have the usb 2.0 BurnMax and it writes fine with my win98 machine, but the cd is unreadable in my XP laptop.
Also, the rebate scam is across the board on a lot of companies. Many never plan to pay, or only after a follow up call months later. It never ends.

I have the same problem.
When I upgraded to nero 5.5.9.9, nero can recognize the Polaroid BurnMax40. (I bought BurnMax40)
But the problem is that I couldnot use nero to burn,
because my nero software comes with my Cendyne CDRW.
It seems my nero only works with its bundle CDRW driver.
It needs the nero full version!

So I still couldnot use the BurnMax40.

Does somebody have other solution?

thanks

Well ...
you can download a crack at astalavista.com for your nero version. I had the same trouble as yours and just cracked my nero which came with another oem writer.

I also bought the 40x writer and use nero 5.5.9 however it hardly run in x16. At higher speed it would just feeze when trying tu burn after more than 5%...

Does anyone have a F/W update for the 40x polaroid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back