Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planned power outage - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrulez

MIS
Jun 27, 2005
US
Hello all, quick question here. Our building is having a planned power outage (4hrs) this weekend. I would like to shut down our PBX system before the outage. The backup battery will only last 1hr. What are the steps to shut down the system? Do I just flip the power switch off? We have an Option 11c and Meridian mail. I access it via OTM. Your help is appreciated.

For maintenance purposes, we let the UPS drain to zero, then power the system off with the breaker. This "recycles" the UPS batteries, and prevents any commercial power problems from damaging anything when power comes back.

Doc-V

deep cycle of the battries is not recogmended any more, it shortens there life. at one time it was standard procedure. the rear breakers or the best for a power down... i turn off the rears then the cpu shelves, turn the back breakers back on, then power up the cpu's.. not in any book, just think that the cpu shelf doesn't need a spike on my watch

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

There isn't another way to shut this down safely? I don't know what circuit breaker to turn off.

On an 11 the only switches are on the power supplies. Be sure to backup mail and remove the tape or mail will not boot up. Shutting the power supplies off should work for what you are doing. Also go to LD 43 and do an EDD before shutting down.

right. an 11 is just the one switch. for some reason we thought you meant a larger box.. an 11 power supply is made to power up and down correctly..sorry

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I have an Option 11C with 4 Cab's, each has a power supply so I trip each breaker. I also power my modems HUB and Tape backup on the UPS, so I turn off the UPS switch.

Here's another item just to make your weekend fun. When you trip the breakers, if your switch is older. I have seen them crack and not come back up.

I always like to tell people this because we powered off once and the breaker did not work to bring back on. But we had critical spares to replace.

But this is rare.

John

From what I can recall this was on the larger opts, 51-81, have seen it a number of times. That is why Nortel recommends using the column breakers and not the ones on the shelves.

I always hold them so they don't snap off, they use cheap plastic in them.

another concern about a power cycle on larger dc systems. the shelf level power supplies had a habit of not turning back on.. nortel published a bulliten suggesting that after the install those power switches should be left on al all times

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back