Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHOTOSHOP COMPUTER RECCOMENDATIONS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BURKEPHOTOS

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
US
I'm a professional photographer looking for suggestions to configure a new Photoshop Workstation. I currently have a Dell Precision 650.

Thanks,
BURKEPHOTOS

Hi there
We have Directron in the UK...from all accounts a very good supplier.
My list didn't include the two RE3 Western Digitals I mentioned in an earlier post. Building is the easy part, mosting doing things logically and neatly, following info in the manual for motherboard pin outs and connections etc.
Configuring after the build, especially with a raid setup, requires a little more knowledge and you may need some help in this regard.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

A lot depends on how much RAM you plan on using, and if your software is 64 bit or not. Then you have to decide how much storage you want or need. A nice .45 nm Quad Core would be nice. Works great for opening large files.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

paparazi,

Nice to see you back & posting regularly. Since you're a photo guy I'll defer to your choices in the above post...except look them up at as they offer services that Newegg does not:

Directron.com said:
Add the components to your shopping cart to figure out the total system price and add the $27 labor charge. We'll ship you a fully-assembled and tested barebone system. Great for resellers and first-time system builders. If you are a registered user of Directron.com, you may save your configurations in different shopping baskets for comparisons.

Use the $39 labor charge if you are also purchasing operating system and would like us to install and configure the OS for you.

That pittance to protect thousands of dollars of gear is a smart investment. And also select their "test and double-box" option. I would also establish a relationship over the phone with a sales/support person to have a name to call if something goes wrong. This is the ONE time when ordering by phone is much better than ordering over the Internet. Best of luck!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Hi Tony...No really...BURKEPHOTOS is in the US and so your supplier recommendations make more sense (I really have no experience of US based suppliers)
I have to agree $39 for build and OS install is amazing, although I'm not sure they would setup a multi drive raid plus additional hard drive storage for that but then you never know, it could be they are happy spending the extra time given the expensive parts list and profit.

X2 in Raid

X2 if 64bit OS

although 9550 is better value

Setting the 2 RE3's in a fast Raid config with the OS
And if they can put this all together and install the OS for $39 I would say go for it.
Martin

Martin

technome said:
According to the link below CS3 does not have better performance with a quad vs duel.

CS4 will be out next month and it supports (and benefits from) quad-core. Besides, how could you build a current uber-system and NOT use quad core?

Wikipedia said:
Adobe CS4 is also developed to perform better under 64-bit and multi-core processors. Adobe Photoshop CS4, Adobe After Effects CS4, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, and Adobe Soundbooth CS4 will officially support 64-bit. However, Adobe CS4 64-bit will not be available for Mac OS X.[4] In early testing of 64-bit support in Adobe Photoshop CS4, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed

Tony

Users helping Users...

Even if he sticks with CS3 or whatever version he has for a while yet, chances are any system can benefit from muliple cores, even if one application doesn't use it. Unless you've figured out how to turn off every single other application/service that runs on a PC and still have other features available, such as AV, AS, etc, then chances are, they can each use separate cores, so then Photoshop could at least be able to practically have its own core to deal with. Windows is surely taking more advantage of multiple CPUs over time.

Here are some other thoughts as well on the computer:

If you are able to wait, in other words, you don't necessarily need to upgrade right away, then you could wait at least until the Intel Nehalem CPUs become available. Then you could get one of those - from what I've read they are a HUGE performance boost - or you could still get one of the current Core 2 Quad CPUs, and possibly save a little cash.

Also, if you wait until Windows 7 comes out, it is supposedly fixing some of what was wrong with Vista, including performing much better. But that won't be until the end of next year. Nehalem will be sometime VERY soon if it isn't already out.

Oh, the Nehalem/Core i7 chips are apparently making their way now as I type this:

Here's an early review of the new CPU. when you get to the charts, note how much they blow away the Core 2 Quad:

And shoot! Look here at what the prices are supposedly:

I'd think that NewEgg wouldn't have them yet, but Dell/HP might.

Dag-Nab it! Now I need another excuse, and the cash, to build a new PC.

I want Core i7 !!!

[wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Tony...that's strange, CS4 has been on general release in the UK for over a month now. I've just been online and can see numerous suppliers showing that it is in stock and ready to ship.
Martin

CS4 is already available in the states as well:

Also, from what I read before, CS4 supports somewhat of 3D graphics editing as well as the old standard 2D. That sounds interesting to say the least.

--

Interesting comments all!

I'm finding the availability of two processor motherboards much more limited than single processor. With the advent of dual and quad core processors, is there still an advantage (for Photoshop) to a board with using two sockets?

Burke

Typically, the boards with multiple sockets are geared more towards servers than end users/client pcs. So, I'd say just go with a board where you only need the one CPU. As you said, they are more plentiful. And since they are more plentiful, there's more competition there, and more than likely, you'll find the features you want/need more easily than otherwise. Also, b/c of competition, the prices should be better.

--

Thanks kjv1611!

Don't get me wrong, I like to save money, but is there a performance boost (for Photoshop) from that second processor?

Burke

Well, with the new architectures, and all, the number of available cores to the system SHOULD offer an improvement.

However, I'd proceed with caution in that direction. Being that at least most of those boards are geared towards servers, they may not be best suited for running standard applications, such as Photoshop.

The Nehalem/Core i7 CPUs from Intel that just got released have up to 4 cores right now, I believe, but they operate more like 8 cores. And with that technology, they have some special linkage for using multiple CPUs more efficiently, so if you really wanted to gain from it, you could go that route. But to get the most benefit there, you're talking $1,000 per CPU, since they just came out.

Then, you piece the rest together, and now you've got $2,000 plus the board, say at least $250 or $300 in this case, RAM - depends upon whether you want to fiddle with 64 bit or not ($100 to as much as you want/your mobo supports with 64 bit OS)..

Photoshop CS4 sounds like it is also setup to take advantage of 64-bit processing, besides multiple cores, so it might be worth looking into. If you do want to go the 64 bit route, so you have access to much more RAM, then I'd highly suggest checking into the 64 bit driver support of every piece of the hardware going into the system. The driver issues there can be a REAL headache! [banghead]

--

kjv1611 I hear you on the driver issues. I thought Dell had a great option to this with their Precision Workstations (btw can be two processor equiped) offering XP installed with a Vista upgrade disk.

Burke

Well, if you think you like that Dell system from what you see, you could post the details here, and get some thoughts from the various pros here. It won't hurt, that's for sure.

My brother recently went to work for a high-end graphics company (pretty big name in the gaming industry). At his company, from what I remember, I believe he's mostly seen Dells and then some of the artists prefer to use Macs. But that about covers it.

So what I'm saying there is that if they can use a Dell system for rendering those 3d models and all the other stuff they do (including some Photoshop work), then you should be fine with the Dell. [wink]

Having 2 processors available for crunching out everything might be worth it, but another thing to bear in mind is making sure your system has enough RAM to benefit from say 8 cores or 16 logical cores (16 if you went with Nehalem/Core i7). As especially the Nehalem CPUs can pack quite the punch with memory usage. In that case, then it might would be best to at least try the 64 bit OS. But that's a tough call. Reason being, that it could work fine for a while, and then just give you the dreaded blue screen "out of the blue." [ROFL2]

--

With the advent of dual and quad core processors, is there still an advantage (for Photoshop) to a board with using two sockets?

For a desktop computer, there is no advantage. In fact the performance would likely be about the same if you were to compare a Quad-core vs. two Core 2 Duo's. With the cores linked together on the same die, data being swapped between cores is often more efficient.

Right now, the current dual and quad core processors from Intel are forced to share the slow FSB (frontside bus) which resides off-die and was already showing signs of strain when there were just two processors. Intel's answer is to copy what AMD did years ago and move the memory controller on-die. The new Nehalem processors will be the first generation to have the new design.

Having more than one CPU will likely be an option in the server market for years to come. But the advantage that gives is not usually shown in a desktop environment.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I did wonder if someone was going to mention the Intel Nehalem i7.
I made a conciuos decision not to bring the subject up in the asumption that BURKEPHOTOS wouldn't want his graphics work station and hard earned cash to be the untested technology.
Lets face it...every new platform release takes several months to iron out the problems and with such a massive change as this is...there will be problems! certainly not the stuff of a reliable and fully functional graphics work station.
Give it six months then yes! i7 will probably be the way to spend your 4K but can anybody on here truly recommend this platform now as a dependable trouble free work station? I don't think so.
Martin

Just to be clear, I wouldn't recommend the jump to Nehalem either for many of the reasons Martin mentioned - especially on a workstation like this. A fast Core 2 Duo or Quad-core will be just fine.

Duh...from my link
Wikipedia said:
It was officially released on October 15, 2008.[1] 30-day trials for all products except those in Japanese should be available by mid-November 2008. Japanese-language trials are expected to be available by early December 2008.[2]

No more posting before coffee! [smile]

Oh and might as well get all the cores you can!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back