Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHOTOSHOP COMPUTER RECCOMENDATIONS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BURKEPHOTOS

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
US
I'm a professional photographer looking for suggestions to configure a new Photoshop Workstation. I currently have a Dell Precision 650.

Thanks,
BURKEPHOTOS

By the way, BURKEPHOTOS, if I were you, if possible, I'd get together all that I wanted to buy from now until Friday after Thanksgiving... just get it altogether in a list - keep on your computer, the model #s and all that stuff..

Then on Black Friday, day after Thanksgiving, I'd get it from NewEgg. The reason is they are likely to put at least some of these things on sale - big time that day, and I wouldn't be shocked to see some big savings on monitors as well.

What I'm saying is that by just buying the stuff on a given day might end up saving you a few hundred dollars on such a configuration as what we're discussing here.

Currently, The Egg is asking regular customers what they'd like to see on sale, so it may end up being rather a nice sale. NewEgg rarely dissapoints on sales.

Of course, you could price-compare individual parts and maybe save a little more, but it may not be worth the time/headache of doing all of that.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Yeah, that's the type I was talking about that at least a couple people had problems with them overheating. I'm not sure if it's the design itself or just particular manufacturers' design flaws. Vantec was one of the problem ones, and they are known for cooling devices, so it's a little disconcerting to me. As much as I would LOVE that type of device, it gives me reason to ponder, sit back, and watch for a while.

--

Oh, one other VERY important thing to think about, Mr. Photo:

That is Surge Protection.

If you're going to put together an expensive machine, you DEFINITELY want to protect it as best you can.

If I were you, I'd get a Series-Mode Surge Protector at the least. I suppose a UPS unit might be helpful as well - to make sure you have time to properly shut everything down, but the surge protection will help the most. I'll not go into detail on what I'm talking about (for now). I'd suggest going to:

first to see one brand, and you could go to places like - I think that was what it was called, and other AV equipment forums, or just search Google for "series mode surge protection" or queries along that line. You'll end up finding quite some stories of the difference between those and typical MOV-based designs. It's almost scary, considering most use the MOV design.

Couple other manufacturers making same as Brick Wall:
and

As far as I know, the technology and processes are the same, just different names.

I actually got my models off of eBay, brand new. Got them fast before they got gone on that day. They were selling for $100 each (about), when the retail was about $300 each. [bigsmile]

--

One last thought for the OP here.

In my time, I've found the most help at tek-tips on any technical issue discussed. I don't know why, but there seems to be more profesinoalism in this forum than any other that I can think of, regardless of topic.

So, we may sometimes disagree, but that's b/c we are all still human, but we'll all try to do our very best to make sure the "best answer wins", I suppose for each person..

--

We have this enclosure at the shop, and find it very useful generally for backing up customers info.
I can't say I've noticed it getting hot but we don't tend to use it permanently connected and that it how I would recomment using this device....turned on ONLY when in use..saves wear and tear on the drive and minimises virus infection etc.
The only thing that worries me in all of this is not to get too complicated...BURKEPHOTOS is a first time builder and a multi raid configuration might be one step two far.
I still go with a two drive Raid 0 for the OS and apps with one large secondary internal storage drive with perhaps another external for safety and portability (it's nice to be able to take your important stuff home in case of fire or theft)
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Glad to hear about your successful use of the hard drive dock, papparazi.

Also, I can agree that the 2 RAID configurations could seem like a bit much to him.

What I'd suggest that if he WANTS to go that route, then he could try, but if runs into too many hurdles along the way, to just call it a day, and just keep the hard drives as individuals (unplug one or two if wants), and use for backup or whatever.

RAID can be a head-ache to deal with. The biggest part of the headache is dealing with the drivers, and then the next biggest deal is understanding each manufacturer's wording on the options at first.

Nonetheless, whatever you decide to do, be sure there will be folks around here who will do their best to answer your questions.

--

I wanted to thank everyone for their generous help and suggestions in putting together my new Photoshop machine. After considering many reviews and the excellent advice given here and on the Adobe site, I made my final selections and placed my order Newegg today!

I'm looking at various suppliers for the monitor I've chosen (Eizo CG222) and will also place that order today.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Burke

Wow, BURKEPHOTOS, that'd better be SOME KIND of monitor for the price!! The cheapest price I saw after a quick search was this one:

And that's at over $1300 just for the monitor.

Some places were near $3,000 for that or a similar monitor by same manufacturer.

I hope it turns out well.

--

It's the top rated monitor for photo processing. Can be calibrated for the screen image to exactly match actual photos. It's on the way!

Thanks again for all your help kjv1611, I appreciate it.

Burke

Have a question re: installation of Win XP Pro SP3 OEM Sysytem Builder Pack. MS mentions a OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK). Does the OPK do anything more than apply a personalized logo? According to MS:

"Help you preinstall software on the systems you build.
Enable you to customize the preinstallation with branding, technical support information, and customized applications.
Allow you to provide your customers with a unique user experience."

Do I need an OPK?

Thanks,
Burke

I wouldn't have thought you would have used this feature for yourself but then you might want to impress your mates as you fire up your brand new machine?????
Best to install Windows on a basic hardware setup...then add the extra hardware (card reader, other hard drives etc)later.
This will ensure more odererd drive letter numbering.
Remember to install the drivers directly after OS install (make sure all the devices in device manager, are clear from exclaimation marks etc)
fully update on the Microsoft update page.
Only install other software only AFTER Winblows is fully updated.

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

paparazi what you're saying then is the OPK is not needed for a full, complete XP installation? The way Microsoft words it, the OPK is needed for proper installation.

Thanks for the other info.

Burke

UPDATE: The new build went smoothly and is up and running with OS installed. Still adding utilities and apps before going online. Will post photos then.

Once again thanks everyone for your help. Couldn't have done it w/o you!!

Burke

Another thought you may want to consider. Unless you want to have to reinstall everything in case of a system crash or bad virus infection, it's a good idea to create a backup image of your installation. Acronis TrueImage and Norton Ghost are probably the best products there.

If I were going to buy it, I think I might would go with this one:

--

System Builder shouldn't be used on a single build but more by an OEM deploying multiple machines.

I agree with the use of TrueImage or Ghost, my personal preference would be Ghost but that's because I have used it for years.

One other tip may well be to backup the WGA files (your activated XP Genuine Authentication files), normally it's the WGA.DBL and WGA.BAK files, that way if you did need to reinstall the OS you wouldn't have to reactivate the OS just load up in Safe Mode and put them back into the same location again and restart the OS.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

SimonDavies,

That sounds like HUGE useful info to me. I know I've done so many reinstalls at times, that I've had to call and call and call MS, b/c I was trying this or that, and changing my mind in how I wanted to setup my personal PC. That would be MUCH better than redoing the activation again and again over the phone!

One question on that. If you create an image with Acronis or Norton, doesn't that automatically include the activation file, or do you still have to copy that out separate?

Also, if you just backed up those files, and reinstalled, would it be possible to do what you mentioned after the reinstall, instead of calling M$, or would that end up not working, b/c the "installation ID" would change?

--

KJV, yes if you are using a disk imaging util then it will backup the WGA.dbl and bak files, however should something happen to the image or you just want to reinstall the OS because you find you installed an app that you didn't want to then it's useful having those files sitting somewhere safe.

As long as the hardware doesn't change too much then reinstalling the OS and restoring those files won't cause any issues.

Simon

Thanks for that info! That'll have to be something I backup in the future. I'll give it a whirl soon, hopefully, as I'm in bad need of a reinstall of my main system. Actually overdue by a year, probably! That's quite a stretch for me! [wink]

--

Yeah I normally reinstall every 4 - 6 months or so myself, although with Fista it's a bit more difficult (which is why I pay for a Technet Sub).

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back