Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone manager will dial handset wont 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartroat

Technical User
Apr 7, 2011
GB
When dialling a number from phone manager with a 7 1st to use a sip ars form the call goes through and using redial on the handset also works BUT, if i hand dial the same number with the 7 prefix for the sip ars i get the voice telling me cant connect. Does any one have any idea whats wrong, i dont understand as it works fine and as expected from phone manager.
Thanks All Stuart

Have you tried looking in System Monitor as that will surely tell you why this is happening?

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I hadn't, just tried it and the software wont connect to the system to tell me whats going on. the default password for monitor is " password " i believe? I have just realised i added a 7 in the dial route in the ars so thats messing with the phone number. just got to get someone on site to check for me now. Thanks for the help. Hope this fixes it and i wont be back asking for more help.

Monitor uses the "System" password. On IP500v2 this is "password" but if you are using SE it will have been set during the ignition of the server.

ACSS (SME)

Didn't say you can't ask for help, but the first place to look when you have a dialing issue is Monitor as the will show you which shortcodes it hits and what it tries to dial.
With the little information you gave me I can at best guess since it's most likely something in your configuration.
So if I was gonna guess, my best guess would be that your Dial Count is set to low or you don't have a ; in your shortcode so it hits the trunk before you complete entering the number.

janni78 i don't have a " ; " in the shortcode thanks for the tip. Dial count is at 3 so long enough i think. thesmash it is a ipo 500v2 with 8.1.43 so as you said password is the password Ta. As for my help comment i just like to figure these things out when im stuck but now i have a bit of a time crunch so had to ask. Thanks All..

If your Dial Count is 3 and you don't have a ; in your shortcode the system will send the call to the trunk after 3 digits dialed.
So if you have a SIP trunk it will try to dial the number when the fourth digit is dialed, this is what you would see in the Monitor trace.

Dial Delay Count Default = 0 digits (USA/Japan) or 4 digits (ROW). Range = 0 to 30 digits.
This setting sets the number of digits dialed after which the system starts looking for a short code match regardless of the Dial Delay Time.

I was just reading about the ; in the help files. i thought the dial delay time was a wait in seconds for the user to enter a phone number. will read more about this. I never got any training for sip or using 2 trunks when i did my avaya training many years ago.

Janni78 i misread your post you wrote Count i read Time. count is set to 4. is a uk system, someone has changed the password for monitor and in security settings i cant reset it without knowing the current password. I have never used the DTE features so if i use the dte reset password feature will the system stay running with the current config but default passwords after a reboot? Thanks Again to you all.

answer is yes. security reset all keeps the configuration intact. you should read the manual before and while undertaking this procedure.

Wanna buy some death sticks?

im making myself look silly here now. i have spend ages reading the help files about setting a sip trunk for evaluation while keeping the isdn untouched, never thought to look up "Erase Security Settings (Default)" in help and there it is " This action does not affect the system's configuration " all though that only says it resets the security user will it also reset the password for sys monitor?

!? In the security settings, System Password changes don't prompt you for the existing password. Ditto if you want to set a separate Monitor Password.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

I dont know what to do then i gess will reset and see what happens.
password_ohct17.png

Well that's clearly changed somewhere between your 8.1 and my 10.1. I could say that by default the existing password for the Monitor Password is blank so try entering nothing as the existing password. But while that may get you into monitor it won't solve the need to know the system password if you ever want to upgrade (even in 8.1 terms yours is an old 8.1).

You could try installing a 10.1 Manager on another PC and see if that allows you to change the passwords without need to know the existing ones (or it might be that my security administrator account has something set differently).

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Its also worth noting that ; has a different meaning in a short code than it does in an ARS.

In a shortcode it means wait for # to be pressed, in an ARS it means wait for the dial delay time to kick in.

| ACSS SME |

thanks guys/gals i wish i got to do this stuff full time, but we/i just support a few older installs we did so i always have to relearn what to do.

sizbit That was a great idea using a different version of manager, i installed 9.1.8.0-172 version in a vm and loaded the security settings and it let me in and didn't need the current monitor password to change like before. So i now have a working monitor so should be able to fix the original issue i hope.

ok i found with monitor running that i was still passing the 7 to use the sip trunk so have fixed that but oddly now it wont dial out at all. heres the log of the sip activity. can you see where i messed up? ipo .230 has sip trunk to freepbx as SBC .217 to make the calls. short code is 7N Dial N 51:sip Ars Form dial delay time 4 sec dial tone on with system tone Code N Tel Num N; feature Dial line group id 17

Link

Thanks for your time people.

I thought monitor used the system password which is password by default

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back