Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone extension rings when main phone line rings (how to change?) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjustus

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2008
US
We are a medium size office with many Nortel phone set up on a Norstar network. Currently, we are using the T7316 model phone. The issue that I am having is with several of the office extensions. When our main phone line rings, some of the extensions also ring. This makes it impossible to know when my extension is actually ringing and when the main line is ringing. I wondered if anyone knows how to reprogram the phones so that the extensions ring only when they are directly dialed (through the phone system) from an outside line.

You need to go into programming and change the line appearence for those phones. You can either make it Flash or not ring at all on each set.

go into programming terminal & sets >> Line access >> Line assignment >> show line >> and change the lines that ring on the stations to appear only instead of appear and ring or ring. make sure that you do not pull off the ring from phones that need to ring for answering or notification (bell) purposes.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Jerry thanks for the quick reply. However, after I following your instructions my phone extensions is still ringing when the main line is called. After performing the functions you mentioned, the admin phone set said update so I pushed the button and it completed the update. I am assuming this was for the changes that I made. Do I need to do anything else so save the new settings? Also, when I went to terminals & sets i got a menu option that said "show set" and "list" i went to 229 (my ext) then to line access>>line assignment>>show line. at this point I had to again choose a line so I chose "L229". I changed the option from appear and ring to appear, and then hit the key to hang up a call. At this point I noticed the button under display (to the far left) said update...etc. Thanks again.

Sounds like you turned off the ringing on your personal direct line.
There are several other things that could be making your phone ring. It could be set up as a member of a Hunt Group to ring when the main number is called, or you could have an Answer DN assignment of the receptionist phone. What is the display saying when it rings? That could give us a clue.

MarvO said it

Thanks for the reply marv. Jerry and I have solved all of my current phone system woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back