Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone calls being dropped, clicking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogero

Programmer
Mar 1, 2007
US
I have a Norstar MICS system and people have been reporting they hear a clicking noise and then their call gets dropped. It only seems to happen when people are using an outside line. I have 10 analog lines and 6 DID lines coming in from the CO. We recently moved locations and four of the analog lines are shared among two lines coming into the NIU (phone company connected these lines using Wescom Dualine telephone network interfaces on the NIU). So I have two Wescom Dualine devices and each device is physically connected to a NIU module but has two analog numbers assigned to it (I hope this makes sense).

I am thinking the analog lines connected to the Wescom devices are causing the problems but am hoping for any advice on other reasons why calls might be dropped. Or confirmation I am on the right track in my thinking.

Thank You

Ask for info from your people; are they getting cut off on incoming or outgoing, that will isolate the trouble to either the DIDs or loop trunks.

Ask them to try and notice what line they are accessing on their phones when they get cut off.

This will help when you give your telco a trouble report, because there is an 80% probability it is a problem before your system.

Who is responsible for the fuse links (lightning protection) on the lines at your demark block...you or the telco?

NCSS NCTS NCTE

I had been keeping logs and it points to the lines connected to the Wescom dualine devices. Telecom company is going to look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back