Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone Boot Up Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossmark76

Technical User
Mar 17, 2010
GB
Hi All,

We are seeing strange behaviour here that has possibly been happening since we moved to this building but is now causing an issue.

When the phones first boot (from new) they successfully register and retrieve both the 96x1Hupgrade.txt and 46xxsettings.txt files, however if we restart the phone again they get an error 0 or -1 when trying to retrieve the 96x1Hupgrade.txt file. This happens every time we test in any part of the building, if we CLEAR the phone settings and reboot a phone it does successfully get the 96x1Hupograde.txt file again but again fails on the second reboot as described.

We are now putting phones into ‘group ID’s’ so we can assign different layouts and behaviour to different departments but in order to get the correct settings the phones need to reboot a second time with the station number configured so they get the relevant setting from the 46xxsettings.txt file, this issue is preventing this from happening so is preventing us from progressing the planned changes as we want.

I have ruled out the web service by building a second web server and replicating the issue with that, we have ruled out connectivity issues in the network as the webserver replies without issue from a PC plugged into the back of a phone that is showing the issue. We are using 9611 handsets.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark

Have you tried a newer release of firmware on the phones?

Hi,

Yes I have already tried the latest firmware version :(

If you are using voice VLAN and PC VLAN, make sure your option 242 setting are set for each VLAN.
If that is correct make sure the Voice VLAn has access to the HTTP server.

Yeah we recently had some issues where the phones would come up fine the first time. But not the second time. Turns out we had an issue with the DHCP scope not having the correct Options.

40 years in Telecom. 2 months on Avaya! :)Go easy.

Thanks for the replies geezers [bigsmile]

I've found the issue! It's the port config on our network ports, don't understand it fully but its to do with the order of authentication applied to devices plugged into the ports.

I timed the phone boot up with was approx. 1:40 for a brand new or cleared phone but only 1 minute for a phone that reboots for the second time. We use Cisco devices and Cisco ISE to control network access ,our network guy swapped the order of the mab and dot1x settings and this seemed to fixed the issue on some test ports.

I can only assume that the cisco authentication took longer than the phone needed when trying to contact the HTTP server for the settings file.

Bit of a pain but RESULT [peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back