Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phantom Extension Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianz24

MIS
Sep 17, 2007
US
I am not a telecom guy, so I have no idea what my options are. This is our setup:

we have a Merlin Legend system (MLX phones), with a Magix R4 processor and merlin messaging 1.1.

Our business has two partners. We do not want the majority of our customers to be able to reach the partners directly. We'd like the calls to go to the operator (ext 100) with a visual indicator of who the call is for.

People close to the partners (family, etc) will have his direct extension, and can dial directly into his phone from the automated attendant.

In this case, our managing partner has a phantom (publicly known) extension of 101, and a private extension of 114. If someone dials 101, i want it to ring at the operator station. Set this up by using a primary coverage button her phone, set to immediate ring. The problem is that each partner now has to have 2 VM boxes, and there is no visual indicator. Ideally, what I'd like to happen is for calls to partner's public extensions to wind up in the 100 (general) voicemail box if no one answers. The operator can then screen the messages, and forward as appropriate.

is it possible to set this up? There are no physical phones for the partner's public extensions (101, 102, etc).

Thanks!

Brian

That's actually only a small part of my issue. I'm far more interested in understanding the best way to program this system to handle the public (operator answered) / private extension for executives.

The way I have it configured right now is that I have set up a primary coverage button on the operator phone for each of the phantom extensions. The downside to this is that each executive has a 2 VM boxes. I'd like the public extensions to actually roll into the VM for 100 if possible.

This is easily done with Intuity or AUDIX, but I don't know if it's possible with MM 1.1. The trick is to build the public mailboxes as Automated Attendants. Disable all buttons and set the timeout to 1 second. Set the Timeout/No Indication to perform a call-answer on mailbox 100. There's a limitation on the number of AA you can have in Messaging, so clearly that's not a solution.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Why don't you contact Jack at the address. I'm sure he can help you.

Tim Alberstein

Easily done if u upgrade the Merlin Messaging to a R3 or R4. Then you have a "Phantom Mailbox" option, where you could have a Message play that would say, "This is Bob Smith from Company A, please leave your message after the tone", once the message is left, it will transfer the message to another mailbox that you designate, which is almost exactly what you are looking for. You would need to purchase an upgrade card. There is also an Auto-copy feature where the message will retain in mailbox A and copy to mailbox B. Hope this helps you out.

A.J. Wiesner
AT&D Communications

thank you for your assistance. That IS exactly what I am looking for. The only problem is that I was under the impression that there is no upgrade path from Merlin Messaging 1.1. If I was going to replace our messaging system, i would probably go with Audix at this point.

I wish I understood more about my options for routing calls. We originally tried to setup the phantom extensions to forward their calls to extension 100 (operator). I was hoping that it would drop into the operator's mailbox after 5 rings. Is there anyways to accomplish that? Does any kind of forward or coverage options go into the mailbox of the person who is forwarded to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back