Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permanently removing startup programs/services

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK79

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
GB
can anyone tell me how to permanently get rid of those annoying startup items such as Quicktime, Realplayer etc that just sit in the tray and do nothing?

I've used msconfig a hundred times to uncheck the programs, but they keep coming back after a week or so.

Is there any way to permanently delete them?

Thanks...

Have a look at FAQ779-1393 in the Windows XP Pro FAQ section
That should help

Mike

sk79 - one of the 'problems' with apps like realplayer and quicktime, is that they tend to reinstate their 'start with windows' entry every time they run. So, you need to (re)disable this every time too!

I've used a little free program I downloaded, called RegCleaner, It allows you to remove items from the registry, such as Gator, DoubleClick etc, and also has a startup tab and a remove software tab that has been very effective for me. Sometimes also necessary to remove the item from the backup tab of the program. This has also gotten me out of the startup notification that I have disabled certain applications, which is just another window to click off when you start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back