Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl editor recommendation... 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix45

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
Perl newbie here...

What do you all use to write your Perl scripts in (both Linux and Windows environments)? I mostly use Linux, but will occasionally write scripts in Windows as well.

In Linux, I use vim and am happy with it, but if there is something better please let me know. With Windows, notepad just doesn't cut it. I just tried a demo of DzSoft Perl Editor (for Windows) and was impressed. I also tried UltraEdit32, which I know is very popular, but I don't see the big deal about it. DzSoft seemed much better.

Thanks,
Chris

heh, geeks seem to be one crowd where older is almost always better. The bragging rights of doing something back when not many people did it, back when life was hard. It's the proverbial "walked to school 20 miles in the snow, barefoot, uphill both ways" speil applied to technology. Yeah, we've all seen it before, now please, lay off.

I work for a gift card company!

excuse me? That is uncalled for Andrew. A very short bit of reminiscing is far from bragging about the good old days and equating it to building character or some other such nonsense. How can an older person blame a younger person for having an easier/faster/better way of doing something than in the past? You have a right to your comments/opinions, which I respect, please extend that respect to the rest of us, thank you.

Kevin

Kevin's right of course,

but Chaz, you guys had a VAX at High School? We had to wait two weeks for our codesheets to be typed up, and run, results returned, even if it was a DP typo, another two weeks.

Damn, I love Perl for that alone

--Paul

cigless ...

Andrew, we were all having a bit of a joke and remenissing, no need to go all weird on us. What's there to brag about only having 5k of memory and that was until you turned the computer on then it was only 3.5k, no if I want to brag i'd tell you I got 1 GB of super fast DDR400 Dual Channel memory with CAS Latency 2 in my P4 with Adaptec U320 SCSI capable of 640 mbits per second data transfer, with a kickass AGP8 NVidia 6800 Ultra video card.

But that's a year old now and i'm thinking of replacing it with a 64bit machine, just waiting to see where the technology is going and if PCI-E really takes off, also it seems RAMBUS has hooked up with AMD after falling out with Intel - so you never know - i'm gonna wait another 6months a year see which direction if any everything goes - I've already got stung getting a board with Rambus and then Intel fell out with em!

Kevin - punch cards were still used in the 90's at one company I worked at - They couldn't be bothered to re-write the JCL and we had to load 100's of the damn things and if the hopper played up you had cards everywhere and had to re-punch the chewed up ones, and this was at a time when self loading cartridge drives were available at that time they also ran the whole of Butlins Holiday Camps processing on a Dec-Vax, those were the days (NOT!)

Any way enough of this remenissing - I had fun in those computer rooms but i'm glad we have moved on, plus I'd better shut up - wouldn't want to upset Andrew any more, would we.

Hey Paul, I guess we were pretty lucky to have one. I don't remember which model it was exactly.. possibly a 11/750 with the VT101 style terminals. This was in the mid 80's. I vaguely remember filling out codesheets but we entered them ourselves. The only programming course I took was COBOL, and the instructor told us that we'd never see it again... probably true for everyone in the class except for me! I work for a company now that uses COBOL extensively.

I actually find it interesting when the old dogs I work with talk about how things used to be done. Many times I've been able to apply what I've learned from them.. Some major companies are still sending us legacy data intended for line printers.

I apologize if I offended anyone, I was trying to be reasonably polite about it. The discussion was wavering away from that of the thread into an area that's a pet peeve of mine. Perhaps I can't tell the difference between reminiscing and bragging, but I've seen that discussion go on indefinitely on other forums, and was just trying to curtail the one-up-manship before it got out of hand.

Continue on if you'd like, especially if you want to reminisce about your old code editors (without straying too deep into that vi-emacs battle). I've made my opinion known. This thread keeps poping up in that "My Replies" link and I have a sick urge to make it not bolded anymore...

lol - ok andrew I must admit the subject matter did waiver away from the threads intended question.

and as for one-up-manship i think most of you guys beat me hands down for experience let alone expertise. I'm an old fart who is more "jack of all trades master of none".

I have fond memories of the old stuff, and tend to get lost in the nostalga. So back to the point of this thread.

SourceEdit for a free editor rocks! - easy to use and gives you all the basics needed for editing scripts.

It's crashed on me once in the last week but I think thats coz I had a shed load of windows open as well.

So for a win32 platform with more functionality than notepad and a download that IS free, not shareware or ev aluation.

Thanks very much Dmazzini for his post.

icrf/Andrew,

No offense taken on my part. I sort of figured it was more of a personal issue with you, a pet peeve as you said.

Anyway, you have always seemed like a very reasonable person to me (I have read your posts for a while now on a few forums) and I understand you desire to keep the discussion on track as much as possible.

Regards,
Kevin

I'm using SciTE at the moment. Has all the usual stuff, line numbers, syntax highlighing, etc., plus a command window, and some scripting stuff I haven't explored yet. It's open-source, with binaries available for Lin and Win. Available at .

All's good, some little things just irk me. It'd be nice to have an off-topic, casual forum with the folks that post here, but I'm afraid this isn't it.

Hmpf, DevShed...I'm not sure I've been there in the last year, though I used to hang out there a lot. I'll probably stop by again whenever I get back to that syntax highlighter that's now going on two years old...

I've gleaned most of the suggestions from this thread and the others like it I've seen and made a little FAQ with the list: faq219-5835

Let me know if I missed your favorite. :)

I like that Tony

Mike

You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the
original Klingon.

Want great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Make that crashed on me twice! - If source edit keeps this up I'll be back here looking for another!

Forgot about Perl Builder, and 1st Page 2000 has got to be the strangest named thing in the list.

Thanks.

Just to give an update...

SourceEdit constantly crashes - Do not use it - it is totaly unstable and you will loose your work if you do use it and forget to save immediately!

I've been flipping through all the free editors again of late and have generally been disappointed. CrimsonEditor is still the most stable one I've tried, but it lacks some useful things, like comparing files and the occaisional hex editing. It does have the absolute greatest word wrap ever, so if you're one of those code monkeys that doesn't always break lines at a suitable length, it's a nice feature. It skips line numbers and even further indents the wrap for you.

I've got ConText right now, and "word wrap" in there is a line at 80 columns. It doesn't actually wrap anything. I use it as a text editor for log files at least as much as a code editor, so wrapping isn't an entirely fluff feature for me.

Maybe I'll try the new verion of UltraEdit and see if I still like it as much as I did a few years ago, and maybe convince the old workplace to buy it for me. I'm afriad to try it, b/c then I might like it and get used to it, and then I might not be able to buy it.

Had to find a suitable (free) perl-syntax-highlighting editor for a win32 platform recently, and located jext (
It's quite a nice Java-based editor that seems to correctly highlight all the perl I've thrown at it so far. I haven't tried it on *nix, but as it's Java it should be OK. The editing is fast and does what I want, the only complaint is that sometimes the file chooser dialogs seem to take a relatively long time to open.

I have a script that I'm running on unix, but want to format it on by win2000 pc. I don't have perl on my pc.
Which, if any, of these packages can format the script -- without accessing perl?

I'm really just needing something to provide logical indentation, line up the brackets, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back