Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl editor recommendation... 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix45

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
Perl newbie here...

What do you all use to write your Perl scripts in (both Linux and Windows environments)? I mostly use Linux, but will occasionally write scripts in Windows as well.

In Linux, I use vim and am happy with it, but if there is something better please let me know. With Windows, notepad just doesn't cut it. I just tried a demo of DzSoft Perl Editor (for Windows) and was impressed. I also tried UltraEdit32, which I know is very popular, but I don't see the big deal about it. DzSoft seemed much better.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. - Excuse my ignorance but what's a PERL IDE ?

Integrated Development Environment for writing and debugging Perl scripts with any standard Perl distribution.
(kind of visual interface)

Try a few links like these

Open Perl IDE

PerlEdit

PAGE -Perl Application Generator Editor

Visual Perl

``The wise man doesn't give the right answers,
he poses the right questions.''
TIMTOWTDI

Ah - so am I to take it that the IDE only works if PERL is installed ?

Yes.

Mike

You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the
original Klingon.

Want great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

DMF - If the IDE you like needs Perl install ActivePerl on your PC, you don't need to run the scripts from there.

Mike

original Klingon.

Nothing production ever runs from my development machine, but I've got all the production tools and many more installed there. Local debugging is often a heck of a lot easier, and when the tools are available at no additional cost, there's hardly a reason not to install them.

I work for a gift card company!

I've been using UltraEdit for about 5 years and I love it.. it doesn't appear too fancy at first, but there's a lot under the hood. I do some work on a mainframe, and use the FTP editing function for that since I can't stand working through the terminal emulator. All it really does is automatically ftp the file you're working on to a temp directory, opens it in the editor, then it sends it back up when you save.
I also use Open Perl IDE for some things.. usually just for debugging small snippets of code.
I've used vim a little and I like the concept, but it can be frustrating to learn.. Just takes some patience

Here we go - someone's mentioned a variant of the vi editor.

[mike ducks]

Mike

original Klingon.

Vim sucks - use Emacs!!

Well, somebody had to ... :D

Well ok - but use Emacs for what? You can't use it as a door-stop, and you *certainly* can't use it for editing.

Mike

original Klingon.

Maybe *you* can't use it for editing ...

... this should probably stop here before it gets nasty :)

Calm down, calm down, I only resurrected the thread coz I needed a text editor with line numbers. I've used SourceEdit for a few days now and it does the job. I wish you could "Drag 'n' Drop" files from folder to folder within the file browser window but hey it's not that much of a biggie.

But as for people trying to recommend editors such as VI, hmm yeah like i'm going to start developing using a windows text editor such as EDLIN.

This is the 21st century and although I have fond memories of Pac-Man, Space Invaders etc, i'm not about to go boot up my ZX81 or Commodore Vic20 and start using it. (although it's a shame mame.dk has gone!)

I know it's hard and maybe you might need a little councelling but let go, put VI, EDLIN, DOS, PARADOX, etc... back in the box and place in storage, you have to let them go - keep the fond memories, savour the fun and enjoyment they used to give you - but please MOVE ON!

There is a bright new world of GUI out there and it should be embraced!

Don't worry - we weren't being serious.

Seriously though, I personally find it to be an annoyance to have to move my hands from keyboard to mouse in order to drag-and-drop files. My editor of choice actually *is* Emacs (though I do use an IDE for Java), I do all my file management on the CLI (rather than using a graphical file manager) and I hate WYSIWYG word processors that attempt to guess what you're trying to do.

All in all, I suppose I'm pretty old-fashioned for a 24-year-old.

lol - old fashoined for a 24-year old - your practically drawing your pension.

I'm 34 and have had a computer since the early 1980's - i love the new way of doing things.

I miss some of the old ways - which is why i mentioned Paradox, way ahead of its time, blew Easytrieve and DBase out of the water and I still recon it was better than MS Access for many years - even if i've succomed to now using MS Access to front end our SQL Server.

I really didn't want to start learning Pascal when they moved to Delphi.

I used to program REXX in an IBM 4381 DOS VSE mainframe environment and remember spending hours editing DOS autoexec.bat and config.sys files just to squeeze a few extra bytes of free 640k base memory to get certain programs to run and the first thing to go was the mouse driver!

and i still use CTRL + (CVXZFGHPYA) etc.. rather than the long winded way of using a mouse and navigating menus (especially seings as I have Carpol Tunnel Syndrome and that's because of a mouse!).

But to move a file or copy it's still easier to drag and drop while holding CTRL or SHIFT than to type copy and move with commands at a DOS prompt :)

You really should get out more Isnid, it's wrong to get old before your time!

Don't worry - we weren't being serious."

Errmmm yeah, I was only kidding...

Mike

original Klingon.

crimminy.... I used to program on freaking punch cards back in the 70's (1970's that is) in high school. We played Star Trek... on a line printer! :D

I thought being able to store a program on a casette tape was the ultimate in speed and convenience. :)

wow.. and I thought playing Star Trek on a VAX console in HS was primitive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back