Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Remote Admin Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tireddog

Technical User
Feb 20, 2019
US
Please help! I am trying to help out a small school in my community and need to be able to access their Partner ACS R3 from a Windows XP PC and hoping that one of you have bumped into the same problem that I have. I followed the steps in the user manual to connect via Direct Dial (Local). Everything works as expected except that instead of a dial string that just includes the extension (76), I have to use a dial string as if I was using automated attendant (76,,,,,,776). It connects, asks for the password and then a message pops up saying that I am connected. But that is it. It does not appear to pass any traffic and after about 45 seconds, it completely disconnects. I am stumped.

That is a known problem with the remote connection feature. There is no fix other than to try different modems. Some models yield better results than others (US Robotics Sportster & Lucent branded modems). Partner ACS R7 & R8 processors added a port for an external modem as a solution.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Much thanks for the advice. Off to ebay I go to buy a PCMCIA Modem.

Avaya gave up on getting the remote access feature built into the PCMCIA card to function reliably. Thud it added the port to the processor. The US Robotics Sportster or Lucent modems are no guarantees though. They do seem to have better results than others.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

If this is in your community, it'll likely be faster to simply go to the site and make the changes. How often do you envision changing the config anyway? If you DO anticipate many changes over time, you may be able to install an old PC next to Partner, access the PC via LogMeIn/TeamViewer/etc, then use direct connection from PC to Partner for changes. If they are light periodic changes, you can also walk a staffer thru the process while on the phone. Most of the schools that we service rarely make changes...

Mike Forrence

Plus every change you do on the Partner via the remote modem requires a reboot.
Mike

mforrence, your suggestion about having a PC local to the Partner system and then accessing the PC remotely is exactly what I had planned to do but I still have to connect through a modem unless I have missed something. This is a version R3.0 so it does not have a LAN port except on the Messaging R7.0 module which I also cannot seem to get into. I have purchased a modem from ebay (has not yet arrived)) and will give that a shot. Very much appreciate the help from each of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back