Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC boot problem 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crustyoldbloke

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
GB
Last week I moved my son's PC, taking care not to drop it or bash it. When it was in it's new place, it failed to boot. The boot sequence goes as far as "verifying pool data" and stops.

I have tried to boot it from a floppy "startup disk" and from a Win98 CD, by changing the bios sequence, to no avail. I have also changed the hard drive to a known "good one", again, no good.

Am I looking at a motherboard problem? or is there something else I should be doing diagnostically to get to the root of the problem?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Howdy,

I had a similar problem only once, and what resolved it might not work for you as I think it was just a coincidence... but you don't have much to lose do ya? :)

Reboot the computer, when it's booting, enter setup (probably press the DEL key or something similar that should be displayed on screen) have a look for anything that doesn't look right... probably nothing to look for but that's ok... exit and SAVE your setup, even if you didn't modify anything, and try rebooting.

If that doesn't work, I'd remove everything from the computer (the cards) and reseat them in, just to ensure all contacts are good.

Let us know how that goes..

Did you make sure everything was still seated correctly inside the case? Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Thanks to both of you for your comments. Yes, I have looked into the bios and changed the boot sequence and restored defaults; everything looked quite normal.

I had the case off to install the new HDD, and everything was correct and tight.

How do I check to see if it's a motherboard problem?

When I first read the request for help, the first thing that popped into my mind was to check seating of the cards, expecially where external cables connect to Daughter cards.

One other possibility, which is not so commonly known is that the memory modules may become loose enough to give a problem, and some memory sockets are not the best quality on the motherboards. If nothing else works, touch the frame to ground yourself out as you extract and replace the memory modules very carefully. I am not clear if you passed the POST tests O.K. or only part of them.
GrandpaCarl

Crusty: Install new HDD?? Now that brings a new possibility... check for jumpers on the old and new hard disks.. If they're both on the same controller, they both need to have different jumper settings. Your boot drive should be the "Master" and the other one should be "Slave".

Take all the hardware out, leave one memory module, a hardrive, floppy, and video. Reboot. If it works this way (you may have to reboot 2 times to get the full effect) then reinstall hardware one peice at a time. If you get the error with a paice you put in, replace it with a know good piece and try again. I know this seems a little much for just moving a PC but sometimes strange things happen for no reason. How well we all know, eh? Let me know how it goes. Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Jay, that's the techie way of doing it... Would be too easy to identify the problem... :) Can't we just stick to the guessing game and try to figure out the hard way??

Good answer tho, that's indeed the best way to figure out if it's a motherboard problem or if it goes further than that...

All cards seemed correctly seated. I did think about the RAM chips and reseated them. Still the same, however, my son NOW INFORMS ME that, the first boot after the move was almost successful. Apparently it booted to Win98 OK, but a message appeared saying "cannot locate mouse. Click OK to continue". He clicked OK, and then another message appeared - "This programme has performed an illegal operation and will be terminated".

That's when I got involved.

Hope this new information helps.

The problem seems to be related to RAM or BIOS. Just try to load the defaults or Fail Safe parameters in Setup and try to boot. In advance setup, make memory realted parameter to the slowest one, disable interleaving, burst etc. set CAS to highest value (3) and try.

This may be problem due to virus. Disconnect all the HDD from system and boot with clean boot disk or CDROM. If it boots, the partition table may comtain virus.

Techies hate guessing games, lol. I was never any good with puzzles either, but I like to take things apart and put them back together, go figure!

I would check bios for mouse and such...also make sure mouse and keyboard are plugged into the correct ports...some boards don't like any kind of reversals. Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

I would have tried replacing the mouse before the harddrive since it costs less. Did you set up the Hard Drive in the BIOS for Cylinders and Sectors??? If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Ok, read a lot of answers, many thanks.

Current position is that I have disconnected the original hard drive, and loaded bios defaults. Starts to boot, then "updating ESCD success...........", "verifying DMI pool data......." then it does nothing at all.

Prior to the crash, the PC was protected (Huh) from viruses in real time (firewall).

I am now going to disconnect all cards except video and try again.

Me again, right just tried to boot "skinny" outcome same as before. Had a look at the Bios, sequence set to A,C,SCSI, can't find anything to do with a mouse. On boot the PC is seeing the primary and secondary drive. It will not react to a floppy in A drive or a CD in D drive although both are working since their lights come on and I can here the A drive attempt to read.

Should I now be thinking in terms of a large hammer or plastic explosives?

Well, there I was awaiting words of wisdom from you Tekkies, with the PC turned on, stripped to it's bare essentials. The temperature outside, sliding down to 25C having been around 30C all day, and at 23.40 hrs here in the UK; nothing.

Are my American friends on a long lunch break perhaps? Is it a half day in the States? Or have you Tekkies given up?

Crusty Old Bloke signing off for the night.

If the system locks up during ""Verify DMI pool data... ".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. clear CMOS. (often Jumper5 connector, see mobo user manual for more info on how to clear the CMOS)
2. unplug all other add-on cards except video card and floppy drive see if it can boot from floppy. Then put peripherals in one by one to identify which peripherals cause the lockup
3. change the CPU

is the new location a new part of the house, or a new house in general. This is because the power supply may not be getting the power it needs. try unplugging everything except the tower... and if possible, plug the monitor in a different outlet. If this solves your problem, you will have to get a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to give you the extra boost of power.

hope that helped,
jared84

Sorry Bloke, just signed out for the day. Let's see, we tried unplugging all the hardware...we looked the BIOS, we tried different hardrives....What kind of motherboard is this again? Perhaps I can research it from there? Could be possible battery for CMOS dieing?...Let me know what you can give me on the motherboard. Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Well I think whoever posted the last answer may have hit the nail on the head here. This is one of the first things you check in these situations...intermittent behaviour on boot...a battery will sometimes develop a bit of a charge during temperatur fluctuations but these particular ones are rather sensitive to Human grime (i.e. oxidisation) Remove the CMOS battery and give it a wipe with some alcohol (metho etc) Be careful not to touch the surface with your fingers too much...use a clean cloth. replace it and if nothing changes,get a new one.

I often find this cures these problems,especially in older motherboards. Failing that there is heaps of great advice here in this thread. Bear in mind,there ARE some worm (KAK) viruses which will destroy your BIOS if not checked.

Hope it helps

PAUL

MOBO is GA-586S2.

In answer to an ealier question, the PC was moved about 3 feet and is using the same wall socket for it's power.

When attempting to boot, everything looks very normal. All the on-screen info (POST)is spot on, but it won't go past "verifying DMI pool data". At one time, I did get a message that said "primary disk fail", however that disappeared on next boot (that's why I tried another HDD).

Really am thinking in terms of new MOBO here. If CMOS battery is dieing, wouldn't the date and time be wrong? A friend of mine hasn't changed his battery for two years after it failed, and his PC still works but his e-mails are a year or so out on date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back