Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulbol

Technical User
Nov 25, 2001
US
I could connect to the r6 modem but now I can't, same computer just different day. Tried to power everything down still no connection. I connect but when it asks for the password within a few seconds I loose the connection. thanks for any help in advance

Paulbol,

Double check your modem settings. Are you using an internal or external modem? I have found that if you are using XC software that the internal modem does not negotiate well. I changed to a cheap US Robotics external modem and can connect at 14400 with no issues. I am currently working some of the bugs out on the 7.0 stuff. I can connect enter the password and after one minute I am disconnected. Hope that helps.

With any luck Touch Tone Tommy will give you his input. He is realy knowledgable on this stuff.

I am using a internal modem, i have connected with the laptop but now i can't and haven't changed a thing. what are the correct modem settings? thanks for the help

paulbol,

If you could connect before and now you can't then I am going to venture to say that you have a setting in the switch that is off. You need to check 505,6 and make sure ext. 76 is assigned. Then you need to check your remote password. 730 then make sure your password is correct. Try that first and tell me what happens.

maybe i misslead you, i connect or the window shows a connection at 14400, but it gets disconnected after 5 to 10 seconds. i will check the assigned 76 and password. thanks for the help..Paul

paulbol,
It sounds like the problem is you do not have ext. 76 (the internal modem for the partner) assigned to hunt group 6. But I would check the password to just be safe.

i assigned 76 to hunt group 6, i can now connect with a laptop connected to the unit, however i still can't connect with the work station using operated asist. the modems are set up the same. i connect at 14400 but loose the connection after entering the password which i know is correct because i used it with the laptop. I would now assume the problem is with the modem type or software in the workstation. the problem is i sold the laptop! thanks for all the help, i will try and buy it back.

I bought a us robotics external modem and that took care of all the problems. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back