Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PAYING FOR USING WINDOWS 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveit

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I am now forced to use Windows 10 with 7 being stopped in January. Someone I know has said that to register the serial number it will cost £100. This does not seem correct to me but I do not want to load it and be caught for this charge. Can you please enlighten me? Also I understand there is a built in section that allows Windows 10 to look and work like windows 7. Is this correct?

After Windows Vista reached end of life I changed to Linux Desktop and I'm happy as never before.

You need to move on or be left behind. Windows 10 is not scary or difficult. It is at least marginally more reliable than older operating systems and it will actually make older hardware run a touch FASTER, not slower. So, no reason to strand yourself on a technological desert island. This from someone that hates to change.

As stated, the Windows 10 upgrade is still free and easy to do from Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 I've done about 10 in the last month. Not one had any problems and these were PCs between three and six years old.

Hi goombawaho. Long time since I was on here so nice to hear from you. I like to have new OS disks as I find it easier for me, due to being disabled, to load new software onto fresh SSD. I have an old DOS program that runs on 32bit windows 7. I am looking for a 32bit version in windows 10 but have not found a OS disk. I know I am still stuck in the past. It is also confusing because there are vary many different prices out there. They range from £5 for a code up to over £100 for a 32/64 disk with code. All say they are genuine!

Guess you should have migrated when Microsoft offered the Windows 10 update for FREE.

According to the reports at that time Windows 10 had problems so I left it. Some computer magazines are now saying Windows 11 is coming. I thought 10 was going to be the final Microsoft was issuing.

All version of Windows have had issues that why there are different versions/updates 1.0, 2.0 3.0 3.1 3.11 XP Service pack 1,2,3...

Windows 10...Windows 11...
There will never be a final Windows version.

>Some computer magazines are now saying Windows 11 is coming
This would suggest that you are reading the wrong computer magazines - the ones that report internet myth as truth without doing any basic journalism …

>Guess you should have migrated when Microsoft offered the Windows 10 update for FREE

As advised above, you can still get it for free.

>I like to have new OS disks as I find it easier for me, due to being disabled, to load new software onto fresh SSD

If you follow the instructions you reach from the link I provided, you can pretty easily burn your own copy of the W10 to media of your choice.

moveit said:
I have an old DOS program that runs on 32bit windows 7. I am looking for a 32bit version in windows 10 but have not found a OS disk.
In the past I solved similar problems in running the old DOS programs in DOSBox
Other Option would be to install your 32 bit Windows7 in the VirtualBox running on Windows 10.
moveit said:
]
Some computer magazines are now saying Windows 11 is coming.
IMO, if Windows 11 comes it will be based on Linux kernel.

I know I am getting on in years now, early 70's, but I did once try DOSBox but I must be simple as I could not get it to work nor completely understand it. Virtualbox I have not heard of.

Is it me? Oh for the easy life of DOS!!!!!!

Well, sorry for the complications you have. I understand not wanting to move forward for various reasons. But it is free after the pain. If you get the media creation tool, you can create a bootable USB or DVD that has 32 and/or 64-bit versions.

Link

>IMO, if Windows 11 comes it will be based on Linux kernel.

If you are on Fast Ring, then you already have a fully integrated Linux kernel for windows available, WSL 2. And that's Windows 10, not Windows 11.

If you have an old dos application, look up the free software for windows 10 called dosbox The link is below. It will run dos applications on a windows 10 system by running the application under a dos emulator. inside a window. I have used it in the past and it works very will.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Although the article does mention it, I'll just make it clear here: that only works if you have installed the 32bit version of W10

I have made a complete note of all comments made and the links. I have just got a copy of windows 10 pro 32bit so after this festive period I will sit down and carefully enter the new world of 10.

Thank you all for your input and help. Much appreciated.

The step from Windows 7 to Windows 10 isn't as strange as it was from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95.

I went from Windows 3.11 to Windows 98 as my friends said 95 was unstable. I liked 98, 2000, XP & Windows 7.

It's funny... it seems that with Microsoft, "Every other version" is good.

Windows 3.11 - Good
Windows 95 - bad
Windows 98 - Good
Windows ME - Bad
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Bad
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Bad
Windows 10 - Good

I sense a pattern....

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back