Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner/Partner Plus AC Power Cord Pinouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybertheque

Technical User
May 15, 2011
US
Just acquired a Partner Plus without power cord; I would dearly appreciate a description of the connector and its pinouts (e.g. looking into the jack on a module please describe the pins by position and their connection). I presume that two pins take 120VAC (I'm in the USA), and I would simply trace them on the power supply PCB and connect to those unless there is a need to jumper any of the others, so I ask first).

Thanks much.

...trying to quickly test some gear and not wait for delivery of a power cord...

Would anyone care to drag out an ohmmeter and document the cord, please?

The US power cord has 3 conductors:
Pin 4 is Equipment Grounding Lead
Pin 6 is 120VAC Hot Lead
Pin 14 is Neutral Return Lead

The Connector has a latch and is keyed. I numbered starting at the keyed pin as 1, since they are not marked on the connector body nor the module jack. Notice the flat corner on the pin of the plug connector and in the module jack. I vaguely remember this in one of the Partner documents, but don't remember which one. Try the above and see if that works for you.

....JIM....

Thanks Jim!

Here is my take on the connector from the power supply inside a 206E module, looking into the connector, with male pins:

NOTE: ASCII art doesn't render properly with the proportional fonts used on this forum -- please copy and paste into a text editor with a fixed-width font --

|
_|_
C8105 ___ AC Gnd
| /(both pins)
| /
G--o o o |o| o o o------AC
o o o |o| o o o------AC
-------------------|---|-------------------------------- PCB edge
| \
---- \
CR109 /\ G
/--\

My notation of AC Gnd is a trace from the pin to the junction of two GE-MOVs; the two pins labeled AC go to the fuse and to the line filter respectively.

How does this correspond to your pin assignments? This connector
has the latch at the top in the above diagram but no flat corner anywhere in the socket or any pin that is different from any other pin.

You are close. See below. This is looking into the connector on the board.

gnd. gnd . . neutral . neutral .

. gnd. gnd. phase . phase .

I revised my diagram (see link above) to move the AC (phase)
pin closest to the PCB one position to the left since on some
power supplies the pin I specified originally is missing; both
pins are connected together however.

The system is now up and running using the connections
described in my diagram -- I am unclear why there are such
differences compared to the pinouts described in the replies.
In any case, the ones in my diagram correspond to traced
circuits on two different power supplies and the system carrier
unit.

Thanks to all.

My description is based on the power cord connector. I did not take a module a part to see what the other pins do. It could be that early 206 modules had a board connector with no flat corners for keys, and the current power cords would fit those anyway. The upper illustration in the link for the pcb lines up with the power cord pin arrangement for the USA power cord. So that would be the correct one, the way I see it.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back