Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner II -- system phone dies overnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfriend

Technical User
Jun 8, 2002
US
We have a PartnerII Release 3 with stand alone voice mail.
6 lines in (one dsl/fax line). The system has been up and running for 3 years with no problems. Power supply is protected with APC UPS.

After a recent nightime electrical storm the phone at ext. 10 would not dial out. I reset the system and changed out the phone and it worked fine. Now almost every night the same event occurs. If I switch out the phone set at extention 10 it works fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here.

I have powered down the system and reset several times.

I would say the port on the 206 module is going out. do you have more than one 206 in the system ? try swapping 206 and see if the problem follows the module or stays with ext 10

Thanks Skip, I switched the 206 modules now its just wait and see.

I switched 206 modules and am now getting "phantom" rings on the intercom on station 10. It only rings once, but does so about every 20 minutes. Its like it is posessed. Do I need an exorcist?

Hi richfriend,
If you check the programming for hunt group 7 I think you'll find ext 10 in there. #505,7,10 should say "2-not assigned".

-Chris

Do you have a mailbox with the same extension number as one of the VM ports? On Partner Mail (not VS), if the MW light is lit for a VM port, the port will interpet that as an incoming call, answer it, and getting no response will transfer the "call" to Ext. 10. Thus one ring, and no one home.

I am going to guess that you have an older MLS phone set. I am further going to guess that your keypad membrane is shot. That is most likely causing the phantom rings. The previous issue sure sounds like a bad port on your 206 module. Ext 10 always seems to be the first port to go.

Older MLS and MLX phones seem to have a leaky cap problem that causes the flakey problems, the actual membrane failure are LEDs that don't work and buttons that don't work.
-Chris

I see a lot of mls phones that just ring constantly and the membrane will cure that .

I wonder if there are any of those caps on that. Guy I talked to in service indicated the smt caps leaked and the conductivity messed up the logic in the phone. But who knows? Second hand (or more) information. Either way, we try to get the darn things out of the system.
-Chris

I concur with the VAlcom speaker. Just what I was thinking about. Can all be done for under $100. The 5 watt horn will be very powerful.

ITPhoneguy,
As an employee of a company that has been repairing and refurbing the MLS and MLX sets since they first came off of their AT&T factory warranty, I can telll you that you are completely wrong.
The flakey lights flashing, going to speakerphone/grabbing line on its own/phantom rings are caused 99.9% of the time by the single sided keypad membrane going bad. The later models used a double sided membrane that is much better.

Hi paul144,
Thanks, all I know is the info I get when I ask the service depot. I do know the membrane goes open and sometimes the coating flakes off. The rest I have to trust the bench guys who work on these.
The guy I asked is Avaya service in Canada.

-Chris

AT&T/Lucent/Avaya will never acknowledge that there was any type of possible design flaw in anything that they make. To the best of my knowledge, they are insisting to this day that the single sided membranes are a perfectly wonderful component. Funny that they stopped using them. Funny that thousands of replacement double-sided membranes are sold in this country each year to companies like mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back