Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner 18D Vs Partner 18 in bathroom, What about moisture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jd925

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hi, I have in my house a Partner system I have always had a cheapo phone in the master bathroom for those calls that you just cant miss ( when you not to busy) and if their ever happens to be the need to call out ( im thinking if there is ever any emerg.) anyway . I put an 18 button set in their. but not so sure how it will hold up. The room is somewhat large but has dividing walls and I have not yet go around to putting in the exaust fan. I want to put a set in with an LCD screen. But I think the moisture will get to it. and i dont want to mount an outdoor phone box to house it it( this is what an online company said to do) Thanks for any advice you can give. Jake

Hi Jake,
You know, I have some Partner phones mounted outside in a box. I didn't expect them to last 6 mths. 2 yrs. later, the darn things are going strong. (It wasn't my idea or recommendation). They are used as gate phones about 100Ft from anything. All wireing buried.
Once you install a fan, I can't see any problems. My new fan has a humidity sensor. Really cool & works great. Also, has a motion sensor for the night light. Cost me around $200.00 CDN. That must be about $80.00 USD right. :)
-Chris

If the phone is white then over time it will discolor to yellow depending on the humidity.

Definitely use black. The white will yellow, like he said, in a bathroom setting. I've seen this happen in a kitchen area where there was a large industrial dishwasher and moisture in the air parts of the day.

I think everything turns yellow with time. Including my teeth. My phones at home are white mostly. The grey ones look nice. Black looks too "businessy" for me.
I've seen many of these that are still white. I don't know whether it's moisture, sunlight or a bad aura that turns them yellow.
-Chris

I know I've had experience with white ones by windows turning yellow, which I assume is sunlight/UV rays. however, the one I mentioned in the kitchen area wasn't near any sunlight, so I'm assuming moisture? Who knows! The white phones look too cheap to me, anyway, so I never get them if I have a say. Gray is nice. Rarely see them on eBay, though...must be rarer than black or white. people stick with the ol' standards, I guess.

Yeah, I offer grey to new installs. Many people like them better. They don't show the dirt as quickly either. I always carry a grey in my truck to show.
-Chris

If I am ever buying new I will push gray. To me it's alot classier (like definity, magix have gone to). Black was the thing up until recently and now it's changing. Think they'll ever get back to brown, dark red, etc., like they had some older Merlin sets???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back