Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parsing a number out of caller ID Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

mforrence

Vendor
Aug 7, 2004
US
Greetings,
We have an older IP412 on R5 w/VMPro that needs a new trick. Site has a new nursecall system that interfaces to PBX via analog trunk in IPO. When resident presses the call button, nursecall generates a phone call to IPO. Original intent was to use the caller ID number to route call. Unfortunately, the nursecall ONLY populates the caller ID Name field (in which it includes the room number that is placing the call), and leaves the number field blank. The room number is always the first three digits in the name field. I tried using VMPro string manipulation, copying first three digits of the $NAM variable to $CP0 - no joy. Nursecall vendor insists that there are no settings they can change to manipulate output. Any thoughts on how I might accomplish this? Thanks

I have a idea but I am underway to get drunk so it may be a silly idea, I'll look at it tomorrow when I'm sober but i think it can be done.

So the name field always has the first 3 digits as the room and then there are other digits after that? If so are those digits changing with each call or are they always the same?

The first three digits is always the room number, then there is a space, followed by the type of call (i.e. Personal assist, toilet, etc). So the entire name would look like: 203 PersAsst. I suspect that the CID Name is sent to VMPro, simply because it appears when using voicemail to email. I'm just not sure that the field is available for use as a variable. I've set system to copy first digits to a user-defined variable, then set the little sequence to extract first three of the call ID (not caller ID) - got a correct result each time. Hence, my process is correct. Nursecall vendor is not very motivated to find a successful solution...

And what variable in VMP are you using to capture the name? I thought $NAM was only the internal name of the extension.

I'm not having any issues extracting the first digits from any variable - only having trouble finding a variable that contains the caller ID Name associated with the call. Reading thru description of VMPro call variables, I don't see one that presents that field. I'm dreaming that one of you knows a secret unpublished field or has a totally different approach to accomplishing this. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back