Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging File not big enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels1

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2003
US
When I boot to windows 2000 pro I make it to the logon screen and enter my password then I ge the message that i am low on virtual memory right click on my computer to increase the size but the system if I click ok to the message it takes me back to the logon screen but if I wait for the system to finish logging on it goes nowhere. I have tried to boot in safe mode but receive the same message any suggestions appreciated.

A keyword seach, specifying "low" as the keyword, and clicking on the search restriction "thread subjects" will yield a geat deal of advice.

My own experience is that the NTFS permissions where changed on the system drive, ususally by removing the group everyone.

angels1 -

Virtual memory is the 'new' term for disk caching. W2K controls this from the Advanced settings of the System Properties Menu of My Computer. Choose Performance Options and then tap the Virtual Memory Change button.

Memory Range s/b MIN = 1.5 times MAX = 2 times installed physical memory.

Hope this helps!

SoledadTX
Aspire to your dreams
or
Dim to your demise!

Can this be done from a comand prompt the desktop will not load to get to my computer

Hit the F8 key early and often to get to Safe Mode (use the non-networking option)

right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance, and set under virtual memory the pagefile to disabled. Okay your way out, and repeat the process, allowing Windows to manage virtual memory.

Okay your way out and reboot.

If any issue remains it is a permissions issue. You need to grant NTFS and ACL permissions to the drives to the SYSTEM account at least.

Again, use Safe Mode to use both the Security Tab for the drive and regedit to modify the ACLs. Instuctions are easily found with a keyword search on this site as described earlier.

I would provide direct links, but I wanted you to read all of the causes for this issue, including virus problems. Do the keyword search, and read the recent discussions. It may well be a virus instead of an OS issue.

I have 4 suggestions.

1) Check free diskspace on the C:\ or wherever the pagefile is found.
2) If diskspace is low, try deleting unnecessary files e.g Internet, and C:\windows\temp.
3) Check the Task Manager, Performance Tab, Commit Charge is the limit near peak? If so then it really is a memory problem rather than a program pretending there is a memoy proplem.
4) When you start in safe mode move the pagefile to another partition.

I'm with Guy on this one. Another suggestion is to manually set the page file (once in safe mode) to a set size. I never leave a page file in a range. ie: 450-750

I use one set size... like 750-750. This sometimes cuts backs on errors; but this also prevents the page file from becoming fragmented.

If all your hardware checks out do this and it should fix the problem.

Symptoms
You may receive the following error message while Windows starts:

The system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small.

However, if you look at the configuration settings for the paging file, the settings may seem to be correct.

Cause
This error message may occur if the System account does not have the correct NTFS permissions on the volume on which the paging file is configured.

Resolution
To resolve this issue:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
In the left pane, expand My Computer, and then click the drive that contains the paging file. Typically, this is the system drive unless you specified otherwise during Windows Setup.

NOTE: The paging file (the Pagefile.sys file) is a hidden operating system file. To view these files:
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. (Note that you may want to select this check box again when you finish this procedure to help protect the system files.)
Click Yes when you are prompted to verify the change, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Properties. Click the Security tab to view the current permissions.
Click Add, click System, and then click Add.
Click Administrators, click Add, and then click OK. Note that you must click Administrators, not Administrator.
Click System, and then click to select the Full Control check box. This automatically selects the other check boxes.
Click Administrators, and then click to select the Full Control check box. This automatically selects the other check boxes.
Click OK.
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options.
In the Virtual Memory section, note the Total paging file size for all drives value, and then click Change.
Click the drive that contains the paging file. The System and Administrator accounts now have Full Control permissions on this drive so that you can make changes.
In the Initial Size and Maximum Size boxes, type the size for the paging file, and then click Set. For additional information about the proper size for paging files, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q197379 Configuring Page Files for Optimization and Recovery

Make sure that the Maximum Registry Size value is at least two times the size of the current registry size.
Click OK.
Quit any running programs, and then restart the computer.

I cannot get the desktop to load in safe mode either it lets me logon but goes no further and I cannot access any menus

KB Article 130016 (
"MORE INFORMATION
Microsoft does not recommend removing the Everyone group from the root directory permissions of a Windows NT file system (NTFS) formatted partition. By default, the root directory of a drive is an administrative share in Windows NT. Therefore, it is not necessary to remove the Everyone group from the root directory to increase security or prevent certain users on a network to gain access to your root directory."

At the moment we have permissions set up to prevent computer-illiterate users from making harmful changes to the system. It says here that it's an "administrative share"...but does this mean that I won't have to worry about these security related issues if I make this change?

I'm getting the same problem with the virtual memory message, but I can log in without a problem. The whole system is dragging and I'm hoping that this will help.

Im having the same problem, only this happened when i just freshly installed win2k on a clients machine. I had just finished loading drivers, OS, configuring netbios names to that company's site, and was getting ready to get it back to them, when i reboot one last time, and i get this pagefile size error. And just like angels1, can't get into it from normal logon or safe mode. Since this machine doesn't have any data, i am now reformatting and reloading.
Don't know what else to tell you Angels1. Look like you may have to RELOAD. Copy data from command prompt, and GOOD LUCK.

I followed the directions to allow NTFS permissions to the C: drive and it solved the issue. The computer is running up to speed.

I allowed permissions for Everyone and System in the security tab and haven't received an error yet.

Hope this helps the rest of you with the problem. There are actually a few KB articles at microsoft.com about the paging file that might help. Go take a look so my "it worked for me" answer makes more sense to you.

good luck.

Hello to all,

I am experiencing the same problem that Angels1 is. My Windows 2000 Professional computer will boot to the point where you are asked to login. Once I enter my login information and click the OK button, I am presented with an error window titled “Limited Virtual Memory”. This window says that the system has no paging file or the paging file is too small. Once I close this window the computer appears to sit for about 15 seconds, after this time passes I am again prompted to click control alt delete to login.

After the initial attempt to login, I am again presented with the error message but am immediately returned to the login prompt after the message window is closed. This continues until I reboot the system and try again. I have tried booting into safe mode, safe mode with networking, and safe mode with command prompt, with out any luck. Last known good configuration is also no help.

As recommended by Bcastner, I have downloaded the Windows 2000 Registry Repair Utility and as per Microsoft’s installation instructions created the Windows XP Setup boot disks. The sixth disk was modified by the Windows 2000 Registry Repair Utilities installer. I then booted the machine with these boot disks and selected repair once prompted, as the installation instructions said to do. I selected the installation I wanted to repair, there only being one install on the machine, and seconds later I was told the repair had completed. I then removed the floppy from the drive and rebooted the machine.

Once the system restarted I was prompted to login. I did so and was again presented with the error message about the paging file. Clicking OK and then waiting about 5 seconds, I see the status bar from the antivirus software that is running on the machine. This is as far as it got, a few seconds later, the login prompt was again displayed. I again restarted and tried the different safe modes, with out any luck.

I then decided to try 1stITMAN’s idea about booting the computer with a Windows 2000 CD and going into the recovery console. From there I tried to run CHKDSK /F but found that the /F parameter is not supported within the recovery console. Only /P and /R. /P tells CHKDSK to search the entire drive, even portions already marked as bad. /R tells CHKDSK locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. So I ran CHKDSK /R. It took a while to complete, the percentage kept bouncing up and down. Once completed, I restarted the computer and found everything the same. Just for the hell of it, I also went back into recovery console and deleted the paging file.

Is there any way for me to set the permissions on the root drive, with out logging into the computer? I did not see any command available within the recovery console that would allow for this. Is there any way to return file permissions back to default, while not logged in?

I am going to try and place the hard drive from the machine that is not booting, into an XP machine that I have, slave the drive. From there I am going to try and set the permissions on the root to include system and everyone, if they are not already there. Other than that, I am at a loss of what to do next.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Ryan

It worked! It worked! It worked!

I placed the hard drive in a computer running Windows XP, as a slave drive. Booted into XP, right-clicked on the drive letter and then went into properties->Security tab, and added System to the list with full control. The Everyone group was already in the list with full control. I applied the settings, shut down the computer and returned the hard drive to its own computer. Plugged the drive in and booted. I logged in, was given an informational window, not an error window, about not having a paging file. In my previous post, I said that I had deleted it while in the recovery console.

So that’s about it. It works!

So what caused my problem in the first place? I was asked to format some ones hard drive. So I placed the drive in my test computer as a slave and turned it on. The computer booted into Windows 2000, I logged in and then was prompted to restart, because Windows had finished installing my new hardware. This is something that I normally see when doing this type of thing so I thought nothing of it and rebooted. When the computer got to the login prompt, I logged in and thus began the problem I was describing in my previous post.

I would like to thank every one for the posts that they contributed to other people in this thread. The information helped me out a lot. I would not have guessed that I was missing System from the root of my drive.

Ryan

Sweet!

I was having the same problem. I searched and read the posts to see others were too. Thanks to VLADY218 I knew exactly what to do.

Thanks,
DP

I finally fixed my Low on Virtual Memory Error at startup on my Windows 2000 Professional machine:

Basically I followed VLADY218 Instructions though I had to do an additional thing.

These are the steps that I did.

1. I located my pagefile.sys and right clicked / properties and clicked on Security on it and added Administrators and System to it and granted Full Control access to both.

NOTE: The paging file (the Pagefile.sys file) is a hidden operating system file. To view these files:
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. (Note that you may want to select this check box again when you finish this procedure to help protect the system files.)
Click Yes when you are prompted to verify the change, and then click OK.

2. I went into My Computer Icon and right clicked on C Drive and clicked on Security and Added added Administrators and System to it and granted Full Control access to both also.

3. Restarted computer and WALLAH !! Issue Resolved.

************EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS TO VLADY218 ************

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back