Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging File not big enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels1

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2003
US
When I boot to windows 2000 pro I make it to the logon screen and enter my password then I ge the message that i am low on virtual memory right click on my computer to increase the size but the system if I click ok to the message it takes me back to the logon screen but if I wait for the system to finish logging on it goes nowhere. I have tried to boot in safe mode but receive the same message any suggestions appreciated.

I too had this problem that started after using ghost to migrate to a larger drive. The upgrade worked until the original drive was removed and the problem as reported by angels1 appeared. I finally traced the problem to the fact that while ghost moved the partition data correctly it left the drives as:
Master: (E:) and (F:) Replacement Drive
Slave: (C:) and (D:) Original Drive

Yep my pagefile was now on the drive that was to be removed.
The final solution I used was:
1) Boot up with both drives connected
2) Rename Drives so that Master E: and D:
3) Move pagefile to (D:) and set permission,
4) Powered down removed slave drive (Oroginal)
5) Boot to a Win95 disk and fdisk with the /MBR option. (fix the assignments)
6) Restarted, logged on and moved pagefile back to C: etc.

Cured my problem.... Now have a single drive bootable system again.

The fault originated, I believe when I ghosted with the original as SLAVE and the replacement as MASTER. Usually I do this otherway around but wanted to save myself a step.

My thanks for the many others who posted various fixes for this topic. The permissions one was really helpful. I have save the entire thread as I am sure the points will be useful again one day.

Hope this helps some others who experience a similar circumstances.

One problem area I found with MS Windows 2000; it can only address one system partition at a time. This means that the configuration in the disk cache file a.k.a. pagefile.sys looses settings because the system files are no longer on the C: drive.

In other words, do not slave and format another hard disk drive unless you have booted to a MS-DOS disk and in the FDISK menu select option 5 so that you can switch to the newly installed D: drive at the Change Current Fixed Disk Drive screen, here you will enter 2 for the D: drive, press Esc to return to FDISK Options and enter 4 to view the new current fixed drive that you will be booting to. Return to FDISK Options and select option 3 to delete existing partitions. Press Esc, and Press 1 to select the Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive option. Answer Yes to the maximum question for a primary dos partition and press enter. When this is finished, restart the computer and format the drive at a c: prompt: C:format d: /s (use the /s to transfer the system files).

If adding System to the permissions of the drive with the pagefile helped everyone with this problem...

couldn't you just put the pagefile on D: and add system access to that drive INSTEAD of drive C:? Not BOTH...which would require the system to access more than one drive?

I was under the impression that moving your pagefile to a partition that DOESN'T have the boot sector will actually improve performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back