Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Over-riding DataDate

Status
Not open for further replies.

betty2

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
CA
I have a report (CR 10, running on CE 10 ePortfolio) that uses DataDate to generate page headings (e.g. "as of Jan 07") and to select the current month's data from the database. Unfortunately, a database problem was found, so I have to rerun the report as of November 06 and December 06.

Is there a way to override DataData so that the report will think it's Nov 30 or whatever? It's been a while since I've been working in CR, but I seem to recall that it's possible.

Otherwise my only other thought is to create a hard-coded version to force the dates I want. (Not a long-term solution, but I've need to get these rerun right away)

Any suggestions / advice out there?
thanks!

In CR XI there's Report->Set Print Date and Time to change the current date time of Crystal if that's what you want, not even sure it was in CR 10.

-k

synapsevampire is right. You can go to report tab, select "set printdate" and set the printdate to your date and modify your report so that wherever datadate is referred to is changed to printdate and run the backdated report without hardcoding it.

Thanks guys for the very quick feedback! That must be the date over-ride feature I was thinking of.
I did a little experiment though, and unfortunately that setting over-rides PrintDate, not DataDate, so it won't solve this particular problem.
Guess I'm back to the drawing board on this one... :)

This should have worked and something was not done properly. by resetting the printdate, you can run any backdated report. did you change your selection where a datadate was referred to?

Hi buck149,

Resetting PrintDate (via the method described above, anyway) DOES change the value of PrintDate, but has no effect on DataDate.

It's important that our reports use DataDate since the reports are run via CE ePortfolio and we keep historical instances. We need to be sure that the datestamps in the headings (and date used in the processing logic) is the date the report was built (DataDate), and not the date the report instance is opened by the user for viewing (PrintDate).
I believe the difference between the two date functions is more relevant for anyone keeping historical instances in ePortfolio vs. shops where the report is run on the desktop or whatever.

In any case, I want to thank you for the interest & suggestions.. everything is always worth a try.

Betty,

The printdate setup is, as a matter of fact, designed for this situation. If you are a system admin, you can reset your system clock so that it goes back to November and you run your report without changing the datadate.

Here, by resetting the printdate, it will serve the same purpose, all you have to do is to remove all datadate related reference and force that into printdate. You can run this report once to fill the blank for that missing instance and then you will have to change the report back to its original form including set the printdate back to current date.

OK I see. I'll consider this as a strategy in future. Thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back