Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook has a "bag on" with me, x80042108 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybundles

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
GB
Can any kind soul assist?
I have a network of 3 pc's 2 x Vista Business, and 1 x Win XP Pro.
This morning 1 Xp, and 1 Vista machine have decided they have a bag on with me. I get a x80042108 error message with them when trying to send./receive mail, outlook 2003,and 2007.

This machine (so far) is happy with send + receive.

I have tried the usual search the net, (Ignoring Bill Gates' offer to help for £46, as I suspect an update to be the cause) I have also tried using smtp ports 225, and 587 as an alternate to 25. I still get 80042108, and cannot connect to pop 3 account.
Does anyone have any other things that I could try?
Thanks in advance.
Johnny

Hi Johnny,
My first thought was that it could be a problem with your mail host, but as you are receiving mail OK from the host on another machine, that would rule that possibility out.

My next thought was that the email settings have been accidently corrupted and that just deleting and adding again would solve it, but it would seem unlikely that this would happen by accident on both machines.

I'm now of the opinion that it must be something that you have installed (or updated) on two of the three machines that has caused the problem. I would therefore try to restore back to a date when the machine worked. If this doesn't work, then I would try deleting and adding the account to see if this makes any difference.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on.

Marc

Hold the front page!
Thanks Marc, I've been testing various things that I found overnight on the net.
I may have an answer, just received a messsage saying "Unscheduled maintenance on server" I can only assume that my mail people had a problem, and are having to do some "Unscheduled maintenance".
Still - would have been nice to find out earlier.

I have in my serchings learned a few useful things, like port 25 not being cast in stone for SMTP, and to use 225, or 587, depending on your ISP.

I'll give it a couple of hours and see if the maintenance helps.
Thanks again Johnny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back