Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSPF Config issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

igolftoo

Technical User
Jul 29, 2006
US
I having a little problem with saving OSPF config. According to the lab objectives, I can't use "Ip ospf network" command. So I went ahead and statically defined OSPF neighbors (using point-to-multipoint sub int). I saved the running config and reloaded the router to make sure that nothing breaks after a reboot. Sure enough, I couldn't see OSPF neighbors. I checked the running config to make sure that everything was ok and found that neighbor statements were gone. I added them again, saved the config and restarted....same problem. I even switched a router but no luck. I'm assuming that it's not the hardware issue at this point. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I did check the cisco documentation but it doesn't really talk about "not" using the "ip ospf network" command. I will post the config first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Generally on point to point links all that is needed to get ospf to work is add 2 things

router ospf <processid>
network <address range> <mask>
Then add the appropriate network statements for all interfaces on the router that you want in the ospf process.

HMM

are your neighbor relationships fully forming before you save the config??

Here is the running config from the hub router.

Eliot8: yes the neighbor relationships are forming and everything works as it should. The problem only occurs after a reload. The thing that is driving e crazy is the fact thet only the neighor statements are falling off, nothing else.

hostname R2
!
!
no ip domain lookup
!
ip cef
!
interface Loopback0
ip address 10.2.2.2 255.255.255.0
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 130.13.11.2 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
no arp frame-relay
no frame-relay inverse-arp
!
interface Serial0/0.23 multipoint
ip address 129.186.23.1 255.255.255.0
ip ospf message-digest-key 1 md5 cisco
ip ospf priority 200
frame-relay map ip 129.186.23.2 203 broadcast
!
interface Serial0/0.245 multipoint
ip address 129.186.24.2 255.255.255.0
ip ospf message-digest-key 1 md5 cisco
ip ospf priority 200
frame-relay map ip 129.186.24.4 204 broadcast
frame-relay map ip 129.186.24.5 205 broadcast
!
interface Serial0/1
no ip address
shutdown
!
router ospf 1
router-id 2.2.2.2
log-adjacency-changes
area 0 authentication message-digest
area 12 virtual-link 1.1.1.1 authentication message-digest
area 12 virtual-link 1.1.1.1 message-digest-key 1 md5 cisco
redistribute connected metric 100000 metric-type 1 subnets route-map redist_connected
network 129.186.23.1 0.0.0.0 area 0
network 129.186.24.2 0.0.0.0 area 0
network 130.13.11.2 0.0.0.0 area 12
neighbor 129.186.23.2
neighbor 129.186.24.4
neighbor 129.186.24.5
!
no ip http server
ip classless
!
!
access-list 1 permit 10.2.2.0 0.0.0.255
!
route-map redist_connected permit 10
match ip address 1
!
dial-peer cor custom
!
alias exec s show ip int brief
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
logging synchronous
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login

I just noticed this after I restarted the router for the 50th time...-:)

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

OSPF: Neighbor command is allowed only on NBMA and point-to-multipoint networks

Please advise.

You do not need to declare neighbors unless the router is older than 11.3a OR if you are using point-to-multipoint non-broadcast or nbma. You are using point-to-multipoint probably with an ios of 11.3a or later.

If you look at the config that I have posted, you will notice that I have configured the sub intf's as multipoint int's. My understanding is that frame-relay physical and multipoint intf's default to ospf network type Non_broadcast....is that correct? If that is the case, I should be able to use the neighbor statements. As of my current config, I can issue the neig statments and everything works fine and all the neighbor relationships form. Everything is ok till I reload the router and thats when I get that message saying:

And since it doesn't save the neigh statements, I have to enter them over and over again to get the ospf running properly.

Do you think that maybe the problem is with the frame-relay setup?

By the way, according to the lab instructions, I can't use the "ip ospf network" statement on this router.

Thanks

I stand corrected:

BSCI exam cert guide page 233 "NBMA ... is default mode for serial in. with FR encap & point-to-Multipoint subinterfaces" Unless that has changed.

Did these interfaces exist before? Have you tried a show run to make sure they aren't reverting to point-to-point interfaces? That would cause your grief.

Try this: delete the interfaces by doing a no interface command. Or, a quick way is just to change the encap to hdlc - it doesn't support subinterfaces and they will be deleted. Then, reload. Recreate the interfaces and then see if it works right.

The error that you see below is because the ospf process is not complete:

Solution: go into the ospf process and apply the following command

ip ospf network point-to-multipoint

TIP: use debug commands to verify the ospf neighbor negotiation.

Hope this helps.

Vince

Tried that but no luck...I think the lab objectives are messed up. It says that I can't sue the "ip ospf network" command on this perticular router. I'm at a point to where I have left that portion out for now....:)

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Regards,
Malik

The question for me is not why the int's aren't point-to-multipoint, it's why they aren't NBMA. That's why I wanted to check the subinterface type. NBMA is the default and therefor it doesn't have to be set with the ip ospf network command. Also, keep in mind, you can't go changing frame relay subinterfaces on the fly. You have to use the method I quoted - although they change in the config, the resources can't be unallocated.

But, I suppose it doesn't matter because the lab won't work as designed. Stupid lab anyway - we don't need to declare neighbors on point-to-multipoint anymore. The only way it makes any sense is if they meant NBMA instead of point-to-multipoint. If your teacher doesn't give you credit, refer him to us.

lol....I'll ask the IE Lab proctor to contact you if I have the same problem on my real IE Lab...:)

Thanks

Lol! So, you're studying CCIE? If I'm wrong, it's because Cisco documentation is wrong so I'll stand by what I said.

yeah I'm "trying" to be a CCIE...I plan on taking the lab in October of this year. I was of the opinion from the begining that the practice lab objectives were a bit off but I wasn't sure. After going through cisco documentation and your explaination, I'm convinced that the lab is wrong (I guess that's what you get for buying a practice lab for $9.95....lol)

Sorry m8 the statement that I advised should go on the interface and not in the ospf process, please give it a try to see how you get on.

ip ospf network point-to-multipoint

See, that's the point - the lab forbids him from using that specific command! Kind of a silly lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back