Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OPX For PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtt

Vendor
Aug 8, 2008
US
Customer wants to add an extension of their PBX to an off site guard house. The guard house has a separate telco feed underground. Is there a way to order the telco to link a cable pair from the guard house BT then reroute it to the office BT. This would be an inactive pair cause I have to use it for a PBX extension. I would assume that i would pay to lease this inactive cable pair but how do I ask Telco for this service?

Anyone ever done this before?

Yes, but will they have full feature telephone sets?

Honest. It was a joke. Nortel DMS's have digital centrex with full featured phones. A hosted system can probably have some sort of multi-line set, I don't know because I don't sell them. Panasonic, has an IP solution that mixes both digital and IP sets, but the point is you don't toss
30 or 50 or 100 Nortel 7316's or 7310's in the dumpster to solve an Off-Premise contiguous property extension issue.
Well, maybe if your accountant is on something :)

LkEErie

Nobody stated Hosted VOIP. Just Voip.

A point that was being made was that there may be others issues to overcome in this system if you point them out. Utilizing low cost SIP trunks could be a benefit to some customers.

Advanced features in newer voicemail systems that are not supported by an old MICS system is another reason. Heck, video features could be another, there are many.

It is equally as senseless to believe that the only solution is to provide a reel of copper between the building and the guardshack to provision a digital line from the MICS.

And, there is nothing wrong with throwing out old phones, if they don't meet todays needs. And, older phones typically cost more to maintain, and lack some of the newere features that some newer VOIP phones can provide.

What was being suggested was to look at the entire network and ensure you weren't missing other sales opportunities, and feature benefits by proposing a new solution.

It's one of many options, and a valid option that some may disagree with.

This is just a simple easy to use set up for this customer. Just a one man office in the club house and a front gate guard shack. Thats it nothing fancy needed and answer calls and use the intercom. Phone company voice mail only.

Somehow it seems like dirty pool to find out on the 47th post that it's such a small operation. Do us a favor and start from the beginning. Clearly, it's like a golf club, country club, with office and guard shack. WHAT PHONE system is really installed? Is it an old 824 or Compact 308, or do you have a CICS?

This is almost 30 days out, what did Embarq say about the OPS?

LkEErie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back