Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OPX For PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtt

Vendor
Aug 8, 2008
US
Customer wants to add an extension of their PBX to an off site guard house. The guard house has a separate telco feed underground. Is there a way to order the telco to link a cable pair from the guard house BT then reroute it to the office BT. This would be an inactive pair cause I have to use it for a PBX extension. I would assume that i would pay to lease this inactive cable pair but how do I ask Telco for this service?

Anyone ever done this before?

Since the 12th, you probably have a quote for this now. How much?...will they do it?

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

Besides the OPS protection, you have a couple of other things working against you. The distance can't be more than 975 feet (64 ohms) of 24 AWG cable. The best protection would be the ITW-Linx 75 volt units, or some 30 volt ones from somebody.

Then you have to make sure they don't loop it hither and yon or treat the pairs.

LkEErie

Telco is researching this type of service for. They are contacting engineering and will get back to me tomorrow.

i was thinking about a cordless dial tone extender. Is that what the "engenius" is. Do you have any other products that I could look at. Of course cost is a factor for this installation.

I would be looking to extend the Nortel service from the block for the 7310 set.

I just talked to a person at Teletics, and he said the WOPX product only supports analogue T/R devices at this time, and the engineers are looking at expanding the possibly to include things like Norstar, Avaya, etc. later. They are a new company.

....JIM....

I would think that T/R would be just fine for this product as it would just be transmitting whatever is going over the line at the time.

I'm not exactly positive, but try putting a DSL filter between your Nortel phone and the jack on the wall and you'll see what we mean by T/R device :)

It may work, but I'm guessing not.

NORSTAR system phones will NOT work on the WOPX. The Norstar system phones use a modified ISDN protocol and that won't work on the WOPX. It only supports analogue T/R devices not digital!

....JIM....

UPDATE FROM EMBARQ:[/color red]

"I wanted to inform you that I have spoken with our engineers. They said it sounds like you need either a tie cable or a house cable to run between the main building and the guard house. I did mention a reference to a Dry Pair. I am going to speak to Sales to see if we can get a quote on what this service would cost you. I wanted to give you an update!"[/color blue]

since you are still looking at this I'll put out one more possible. get DSL to the guardshack then using a analog output from the MICS (ATA-2) put the analog output onto a VOIP FXO gateway onto the internet. out of dsl at guardshack into a FXS gateway at the guardshack into an analog phone.

alternately call in a company and abury a house cable to the guardshack.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Thanks for the extra tip. The buried drop is to expensive for this client I would have to go thru a lot of parking lot and sidewalk.

Looks like the magic word is "TIE Line". That is an old COS from long ago but the eng. dept. will send out someone to meet me and let me know what the one time charges will be depening on the distance, time, etc.

How about replace the entire Norstar with a VOIP solution, use the lower trunk cost to justify the change out, and then provide a wireless connection and a IP phone at your guard shack. A couple fine tuned antenna's should get you there with certainty.

All this time wasted on a simple solution, just to make an old legacy system work.

Heck, you get IP out there, you can start putting video across there too.

Jump out of the box, there is a world of opportunity out there.

They tried the antenna thing with the data and that failed. I want to stick with traditional copper.

LOL How about that, rip out an MICS for a HOSTED PBX. Think of the savings, and none of that nasty PBX to deal with.

One of my customers still has a couple of 5' dishes guaranteed to get you data at, what, 11MB? Surely a little point-to-point across the asphalt would do the trick.

How is engineering coming on the OPCP workup?

LkEErie

What about using Cisco routers with FXO and FXS cards, then all you would need is internet service to the Guard shack. I haven't done this on anything other then a T-1, but it should work as long as you have a tunnel between the routers. This would also allow the customer to expand service at the guard shack should they want it.

Scott

Scott, and others...

Back in the Telco days, we had a cartoon floating around that showed what the kid wanted, a tire with a rope tied around it and tied to a tree limb. It then went through the various steps after each department got ahold of it, it was modified until you couldn't recognize the final swing.

All the OP wants is 2B+D capability for the Nortel system phone at the guard shack that is 500 line of sight feet away from the main building. That means the cable pair has to be fairly metallic and not have any taps or filters on it.

Are we all on the same page now?

LkEErie

If I went with hosted PBX how would they use paging and intercom features, call transfer etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back