Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OPX For PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtt

Vendor
Aug 8, 2008
US
Customer wants to add an extension of their PBX to an off site guard house. The guard house has a separate telco feed underground. Is there a way to order the telco to link a cable pair from the guard house BT then reroute it to the office BT. This would be an inactive pair cause I have to use it for a PBX extension. I would assume that i would pay to lease this inactive cable pair but how do I ask Telco for this service?

Anyone ever done this before?

You will have to order an OPX circuit. One end will be at your PBX location the other in the guard shack.
Some TELCO providers have stop offering OPX as a product in metropolitan areas but you'll have to check with them.

They cannot just lease you the pair as your PBX analog ports have cable distance limitations, usually around 1500ft or so. You would need repeaters to extend that analog signal, which would be an OPX circuit.

this is only about 500 feet. will it have battery on it?

You could ask for an "unconditioned, dry pair" - that's how it could be ordered in the states. While it's 500 feet as the crow flies, it may much more to and from the telco office.

A roll of wire is only 12" in size, but it's still a 1000 feet of wire from one end to the other.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

as GHTTROUT already said it might be 500 from the main building to the shack, but to connect it might have to be backhauled all the way to the CO, unless there is a telco junction box close that can connect them together.

I am hoping for a cabinet or vault near by to cross connect the two.

DO you think the Telco would allow an order for such a spliced service?

Back in the day when my office was next to the telco and my apartment was about 2 miles away, AND OPS's were cheap, I had a 2-wire OPS to my apartment from the office. This was when the bag phone was expensive and call forward arrangements were iffy. Then the telco fell in love with that pair and it was easier to drop the line.

The magic phrase is OL13A/B/C and, in your case, C for greater than 900 ohms is probably acceptable. The best way(for you) to do this would be at midnight with a can wrench and some cross connect wire, or befriend the telco service tech. Officially, depending on the operating company, you might find a tariff that gives you OPS continuous property rights to an inexpensive loop. I'd try the latter first and save the former for desperation.

In Ohio, the former United Telephone company would charge as little as $8 a month for an OPS.

LkEErie

Most major Telcos don't do field ties from my experience. They haul it back to the CO and add loop extenders and / or VF repeaters to provide proper signaling and audio. If there is a serving B box close by, you could try "toning" for pairs and Cross-connect the two pairs. If you use this method, you should use the same type of jumper wire as the rest in the B box to reduce suspicion of the tie connection. You could even be lucky by having the the pair count "multipled" with the pair count in the main building terminal. Identifying and toning the pairs would be the only way to check that, other than talking to a repair tech from the service provider.

You could check with the service provider for costs and details if all else fails.

....JIM....

A local friend of mine in the telco biz suggested the same thing. I don't feel right about just taking a pair without paying for it so I was thinking about just keeping a B1 line at the block and getting billed for it with out using it. I think that would be the right thing to do.

Some Telcos cooperate with their subscribers better than others. Putting in a B1 line would at least give them some revenue, if you can't get the pair you need. But it is worth a try to order one, using the facility interface code OL13C. Just tell the order dept you want to order an Off Premise Station between the main plant and the guard shack. If they don't understand that both locations share the same address, have them send a cable tech out to the location for a field survey. That way they will see what is needed to provision the service, or they may be able to do a "field tie" for you. Let us know what the results are. By the way who is the service provider?

....JIM....

IF the guardshack is within rang of a wireless lan connection you could get a VOIP FXO gateway and then
1. connect an ATA (analog side) to the gateway
2. connect the gateway to a wireless access point
3. connect an wireless access point at the guardshack to either a VOIP deskphone or to a VOIP FXS gateway.

you may need to connect the gateways and WAP to a network to provide addressing and such but it seems this should work, you can even set up a WAP in repeater mode in the middle if the distance is too far to reach.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

It is Embarq and I would say that it may be about 500 to 700 feet from bdlg wall to bldg wall.

While that is a good find, there's a definite possibility "Beaver Creek Telephone Company" is located in the basement of of village elder's home.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

I know that Embarq in PA will no longer rent dry cable pairs. You MAY be able to rent an "alarm circuit" that is essentially a dry pair. We rent two of these for a customer and made our own T1 between two bldgs maybe 2000' apart. The OPS (OL13A/B/C) should still be available, but will only support an analog telephone.
Mike

I am using this for 1 or two Nortel station sets for a small office with 8 lines and 16 exts.. The two of these are for the guard house at the front of the property entrance.

what is the distance from front guard shack to the system?

Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Less than 1000 from BT to BT from my estimate

I want to install 2 7310 sets at the guard house connected to the Nortel located at the main building. This way they can intercomand transfer to voice mail, page, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back