Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OptiPoint 420 Stuck in 'Initializing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechjet

MIS
Mar 4, 2010
US
I have several Optipoint phones stuck in 'Initializing' after they are pluged into the network. Any sugesstions on a repair. I have a HiPath 4000 on ver 4 with several IPDA remote shelves at diffrent locations. It is happening at some of my locations but not all of them. Thanks for your time.

You don't say if it's a problem with the phones, or the location. Does a "faulty" phone work at one location but not another - if so - doesn't sound like the phone and you need to look at the LAN/DHCP config.

If the phone is broken no matter where you take it, then I wonder if you are using PoE or a power brick. The problem with PoE is that if the phone is in a state it's difficult to troubleshoot because as soon as it sees the LAN connection it starts looking for the network etc. So I'd boot it off a power brick with no LAN connection attached, from there you can enter the admin menu and perform basic troubleshooting.

If the phone won't even boot with just a power brick, it's sometimes possible to reflash it with the .fli file but you need the additional netboot application and the fli.

It is happing at one location right now. One phone did come back up this morning but another one dropped into 'Initializing'. I looked at the DLS and found the phone lost connection because the phone I was having problems yesterday took it's IP address when the lease was up. My server group states that the DHCP is working as required. Would DLS be the issue? BTW, thanks for the post.

I wouldn't expect it to be the DLS because it plays no part in assigning IP addresses. First the DHCP process supplies the phone with IP address and also the DLS IP via option 60/43, at that point the phone at least should be up on the network (check DHCP server when phone is hung for the MAC address ? MAC is on a sticker under the phone). Only when the phone has a valid IP does it connect to the DLS for further config information, STMI IP etc..

Having said that, never say never, it's a quick test to disable the DLS and retest.

Best thing to do would be to trace a working/non working extn with Wireshark but appreciate that's not always possible.

I have stopped the DLS services. I will have my remote tech reboot the phone.

No go with stopping the DLS services. We even shut down the server and had the remote tech reboot the phone. The phone would still hang in 'Initializing'. The tech also factory reset the phone, no help. I am sending him a brand new phone from the factory and see if that does the trick. Maybe we have a bad device.

It will not be a issue with the DLS server, connect to the phone direct (web browser port 8085). you will have to manually issue a ip address from the phone sub menu (buttons 1,0,3 simultaneously). Make sure the network and system config is correct.

What you have described sounds to me like a a DHCP issue maybe of duplicating ip addresses.

Also are the phones in a Vlan?

Hello

I have had this problem very often on HiPath 3000

This is not Vlan problem, i have had it on Vlan and without.

It is definatly a DHCP problem, but on the phone.

sometimes it helps to delete the lease on the DHCP and reboot the phone.

Sometimes you can power up the phone with a AC adapter without connecting it to the network, and then you can factory reset the phone and maybe it will work.

I never found the exact reason for this problem.

some phones, i simply had to send back to the provider, and get new phones..

/juldal

U need such thing as boot server for optipoint, only Siemens engeeniers have it, and they wont share it. It is a program that upload to your phone new boot config - because your is damaged ( it happend ). probably u can't do anything with it, except send your phones to service.

greetz

Pawel Sygula

Pawel, you are talking about the "NetBoot" application, it can be useful if the OptiPoint appears to be completely fried because you can low-level flash the phone, but with this fault it was an intermittent condition and so NetBoot is (was) not the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back