Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opt 11c 2616 Just died

Status
Not open for further replies.

echang2

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a bit of an unusual problem that I can't figure out. We have very few ports in this room and the people before me used a splitter to split one port into two. Both phones were working just fine until yesterday afternoon when the phone completely died. I've tried different phones, splitters, and cables to no avail. In the system, the phone is enabled and looks just fine. I can even see it go from idle to busy when someone else is on one of its shared lines. There hasn't been any changes to the programming of any of these phones recently. Any suggestions or tips before I call in our provider?

Thanks,
Ed

2616's do not share a pair or a port, the splitter is picking up a free pair in the jack. you need to stat the 2616 in the switch, may just be disu, or a bad port

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The 2616 is in the switch. I did a stat on it's TN (17 15). It shows it going from IDLE to BUSY when one of the shared lines are used. I've DISU the TN and ENLU it as well. I know a splitter is not the ideal situation, but it was working for quite some time before just randomly quiting.

Ed

What is the pinout of the jack and the splitter? Some of the new splitters look correct but are wired diferently.

I'm not sure about the pinout, but the splitter has line 1, line 2, and line 1&2.

that splitter will work, line one, white blue, line two is usually on the white green, the L1,L2 ports is for analog 2 line phones only

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yea, it was working before and I really just don't know why it stopped working. Everything in the switch seems fine. I've replaced all the hardware that I can replace.

is the second 2616 phone plugged into the Line1&2 port on the splitter? if so plug it into the other unused port. SOunds like john is right about the previous installer using the 2 pairs on one jack to power up 2 phones to me.
Just make sure you dont use a normal 2 line splitter that puts both line and 2 on both output jacks. your second 2616 has to have a different TN than the one you are statting. I may have been copied from the working 2616 which is why it probabaly has the same DES.

This is actually the first phone. There's a 2008 on the Line 2 of the splitter and that works fine. I can plug the 2616 into the Line 2 jack and then it works. The Line 1 jack of the spliter does not work any more.

I've checked and they both have their own individual TN.

Have you tried to plug a set directly into the TN at the frame? This will at least rule out the TN verses the wiring.

How do I do that? I'm not sure I know that trick.

depends on your wireing field, i use an adapter that fits directly on a 66 block, and has an rj 21 output. you may just need to put a jack on a jumper. but layer 1 (copper) verey seldom goes bad without a litte help. the tn would be my 1st guess. either mov the set and jumper or replace the card. testing 1st makes things go smoother.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Since I don't have any tools, I think we're at the point where I call in the vendor. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back