Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpsMan under E-Mgr Needs Periodic Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelInMyBlood

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
US
I think we talked about this once before, but can't find the thread now.

Am I the only one having to periodically reboot my EMgr server because OpsMan is locking up? Seems like once every 2~3 weeks OPS will simply stop working and won't let you log in. The initial java screen pops up but the client won't start. Eventually it times out w/an error msg to the extent that it says OpsMgr is not running.

I've checked the server logs. There's nothing there. No errors. I've checked the services, everthing's running fine. No problems in EMgr either, all sites access OK, only the OpsMan blade is hung.

The only fix seems to be a server reboot. :( :( :(

My TAM tells me there's "a couple" tickets open on this, but does anyone know of a fix? Doesn't happen often, but seems to bite us when we're busiest and swampped with MACs and unable to devote time to waiting in the hold queue and capturing traces. I realize that's little help to prod. supp. but we don't notice it's locked up until we need it and at that point it's a crisis because midday moves are underway. We've got to boot it and move on.

A related symptom is that *sometimes* when OM locks up the server will complain that the SAM is missing. This does not occur coincidental to every OM lockup, but maybe a third of the time. Most times a server reboot will get us back in operation. On those occasions when it can't see the SAM we have to unplug and re-plug the SAM, then reboot.

There does not seem to be any causitive action, such as periods of high MAC activity versus low. It can be working fine in the morning and be locked up after lunch for no apparent reason and nothing in the server logs to indicate a cause.

Any ideas?

Yup, occasional infrequent dongle errors here as well. Ops 7.5 Ent 3.1. However, since implementing the weekly reboot of the EM server (Win2K3) there's been no more lockups.

However, I do notice on occasional OpsMan moves that when you kick it off that it will sometimes just sit there doing nothing for several minutes, or it will run out to 6% and then sit there for several minutes, usually only on the first one tho.

OpsMan is great for clustering, but for large moves (30 or more) occurring in the middle of the business day MOVE-SWAPS from the command line using dummy nbrs on the PLIDs (2K-Lite) takes less than 1/4 the time OPS does to do the same moves (assuming all within the same node). OpsMan MOVES will also HANG on you if any of the key apps on an MLS are in use, hence I've just about stopped using OPS for my moves unless they are between different nodes of the cluster, in which case you haven't much choice but to use OM.

I've seen this issue as well,when I was on the Training Course!!! Last week! with the latest software and it didn't get resolved by rebooting the server either. I had to re-install the software and selecting the upgrade and not the recreate option on the install.
Its a bit worrying but from what I was told there is a new version thats going to incorporate Ops man straight into Enterprise Manager so its not a seperate application to launch or install. I sincerely hope that they will have fixed this issue before this version of enterprise manager gets released apparently at the same time as the new version 8 3300 software!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back