Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OPOS MSR restart, MSR controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesboss

Technical User
May 2, 2011
US
We recently upgraded to Aloha 6.5.16 FOH&BOH and the server and both terminals work well. My next step is to get CCs swiped on the integral MSRs on the 1510 terminals.

Previous owners, more than 3 years ago, had the system up and running, probably on 5.3.xx.

I set up from there server OK Maintenance/Hardware/Terminals, both set to OPOS, RSMsr. Never could get them to work, the screen didn't flinch when a card was swipped. I was getting an error message on the terminal that "OPOS Magnetic Card Reader could not be initialized." or something to that effect.

Today I verified with notepad that both MSRs read.

Today I was able to check the terminals, via ControlPanel/15xx Hardware and found they were set to keyboard wedge. When I set to OPOS,I still got no response to a swipped card in TS.

So I tried the MSR reader test under 15xx Hardware, and when I would select RSMsr, I get the error message "failed to Open MSR Controller (107)101:0"

My first guess is that a 6.5 component did not install on the terminals, but in truth I have no clue where this "controller" is and how I get it set up and running.

Any ideas?

You may have a OPOS naming issue. The OPOS device name as installed on the terminal has to be identical to the OPOS device name entered in Aloha Manager. the name is case sensitive.

For OPOS to initialize correctly on a 1510 I believe you have to disable "Enable Radiant MSR Keyboard Wedge at Start or Boot" (or something like that). This is in the 15xx from control panel. I think the in the "general" tab under hardware?

Yes, it is disabled. Enable/disable does not make a difference.

I went to debout file to see if if anything is there, found
Error loaded IberStr.dll version 5.2.1.x. I checked and 6.5.16 is in the Aloha/BIN folder, so am going to check the registry.

Be back later.

It sounds to me like you have a driver issue on the P1510 terminals. To test this on the terminal, do the following: Go to Start > Control Panel > P15xx Hardware Settings > OPOS tab > MSR. Try to select the RSMsr controller from the list. If you get a "failed to open controller" error then you should look into installing the latest drivers.

To install the latest drivers, these are the steps that I take:

1. Upload the following files to the terminal.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility @ Required msvbm DLL Files @ P15xx Drivers version 3.5.0.1 @
2. Uninstall the old P15xx driver package from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. If you get a Windows Installer pop-up message during the uninstall asking for required files (like driver version 2.2.0.0 or similar), hit cancel.

3. Install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. After installing, extract the two required msvbm DLL files to the C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Cleaner Utility directory.

4. Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Highlight the P15xx driver package and click Remove. You may have to repeat the process of highlighting and clicking remove several times. Keep doing so until the P15xx driver package is no longer listed in the installer programs list.

5. Install the newer P15xx driver package. While installing, ignore any New Hardware Wizard prompts - the installer takes care of these. After the driver install is completed, you will have to reboot. This driver version disables the keyboard wedge service and forces you to use the RSMsr OPOS device.

6. After rebooting, if you want to test the RSMsr OPOS controller you can do so in Control Panel > Radiant Hardware Settings > OPOS > MSR and selecting the RSMsr controller.

BIGGBYNinja,
Thanks for your time to post the clear instructions and to make the uploads. I'll post the results when I get a chance to install, but it may be all weekend.

Results not good: I feel the driver uninstall/reinstall-new went perfectly, but the MSR does not test right.

Under the MSR test, CP>15xx settings> OPOS>MSR, when I select RSMsr from the dropdown, I still get the 'Failed to Open MSR Controller (107) 101:0'

When I swipe, the data does not populate the tracks, but TS will open with an error message "Invalid Empoyee Number", so the swipe went somewhere, just not the right place.

The swipe will not go to an open Notepad window, instead the same TS message "Invalid Employee number, try again". I hope this is correct and things are not getting worse.

Any thoughts?

Did you reboot after installing those drivers? The item in the control panel should now say Radiant Hardware Settings, not P15xx Settings. When you click on this, it should say the driver version. Are you on 3.5.0.1 now?

Also, make sure the terminal is set up correctly by running Aloha Manager on the Back of House fileserver. Maintenance > Hardware Maintenance > Terminal > Reader. Set to OPOS and set the device name to RSMsr (it is case-sensitive). Click save at the bottom, then go to Utilities > Refresh Data.

The instructions I posted earlier have always worked for me.

BIGGBYNinja,
Yes, 3.5.0.1, Radiant Hardware Settings (still uses the old icon). Has 2 more tabs than the old driver. Boots were performed, terminal only, then whole system. Set to OPOS, RSMsr as instructed, save and booted.

The only difference is Utilities/ Refresh Data, so I did that just now and no difference.

I thought that would be it also. Driver problem made all the sense in the world. The only thing is if maybe this isn't a 1510 in spite of what it says on the case - configured differently or something.

When I go to device manager and look at the Driver/Properties, select the msr, it says no driver is required, which I thought odd.

Any thoughts? And thanks again to the quick response.

It definitely still sounds like a driver problem then if you are still receiving the error when selecting RSMsr from the controller list.

The drivers I linked to were downloaded directly off Radiant's own website, here, listing stable versions:

There is also a newer beta version on this page:

I'm sorry I can't help more.

Thanks for trying, I appreciate your investment of time. One final thing, I noticed the model is 1510-0240, and remembered seeing that the models listed were -3xxx, -4xxx.
Is this an issue?
I'll probably just take a terminal in to the dealer andlet them figure it out $$$.

Thanks again.

The P1510-0240 is the most common terminal that I've dealt with, and I have installed this driver package on many of them. I'm out of ideas. Good luck with your dealer.

Found out from dealer that my terminals are too old to support OPOS and I needed a new image (repair @ 600 ea + weeks of waiting) or buy new (1800 ea). Salesman said they would be OK. Not happy.

Heh, that sounds about right, $85.00 WE license, of course WE is being taken out of M$ partner channel so might even be WES or POSReady, probably not CE though I have seen 1220's with it, 5 minutes to image them with a configuration that was probably compiled months ago, $600 per, weeks of waiting just so you know how hard the process is for them (getting to the coffee maker). Welcome to the United States of Radiant, and ur at the pointy end of foreign policy... As far as I know, 1510's support PXE don't they? Why can't they image them on site, they wouldn't even need to show up, just have the customer handy with a keyboard...

I know for a fact that the P1510s support PXE because we create and restore all of our own images using Norton Ghostcast Server and we use tftpd32 + PXE to boot the terminal from the bootable Ghostcast image.

All of our P1510 images are XP Embedded and the OPOS drivers work fine with them.

What Operating System was on the terminals? It sounds like you're being overcharged, but I have nothing really to back that up.

XP

They are not doing the re-image in-house, so they are shipping 2 ways. That's part or the time also.

Was recommended to roll back the driver and go with a keyboard wedge, which I should be able to get working.

The tech said keyboard wedge is PCI compliant today but iffy going forward. The whole purpose of upgrading to 6.5 was to get Aloha PCI compliant, change to a new processor, and and use integral MSR to reduce order entry time.

I may go with keyboard wedge if the processor approves as PCI compliant today and delay any work to support OPOS until I fix some of the other problems (food/labor cost) at the restaurant.

If it is XP Pro, it should not be required to image them, if XPe (XP Embedded), then the may have an old build that needs to be updated and they wipped out target designer long ago for that, XPe is being phazed out as it was replaced with industry specific solutions.

WePOS was another port of windows that wasn't too popular but did the job for a while. POSReady replaced that and is a CD based install but leaves the same footprint of XP Pro and them some (well over 1GB for OS & Driver DB), and if one wants to keep image footprints small (100-400MB) for easy portablility of the images, then well, I myself went with WES 2009 for my builds, but it requires one to put together a WSUS server and test patches in a VM as they come down rather than just point the terminals to M$ windows update, it allows techs to be better prepared to handle more situations out in the field, and a happier customer.

check the terminal type..

if it is set to Clone, change it to Radiant..refresh.

if it is set to Radiant, set it to Clone..refresh.

you really do not want to use keyboard wedge service but either OPOS or you can even use the Radiant as the type of the MSR. OPOS uses the P15xx driver set, Radiant is actually an API call to a .dll built in that Aloha version. I will tell you up front though, if you set it to Radiant, it will disable then remove the keyboard wedge service. You really should only use the KW service if you have some third party app that needs it, but if you are using just Aloha on the FOH, I would highly recommend you avoid it.

oh and the part about the terminal being too old to support OPOS...well let's just say the person who told you that is WRONG..tell them I said it too.

oh, one more thing to note..

if you set it to Radiant as the MSR type, it takes two refreshes for it to take effect..

Reason:

first refresh changes the type and adds an entry in the registry but won't work until the second refresh in order for that registry entry to be read.

Just an FYI in case you opt to use that so as not to pull your hair out when it don't immediately work.

107 error is

OPOS_E_NOHARDWARE
Device is not connected or powered on

Reimaging this terminal will not help you if it is a physical hardware issue, i.e. MSR is on it's last hurrah. On a plus side though, you can replace just the MSR instead of buying a new terminal or spending a ton of money to have someone put the same OS back on it.

Let me ask this..is there any other OPOS program installed on that terminal, such as Epson OPOS? Reason I ask is that if you install Epson OPOS for say a printer, but install the entire OPOS suite to include MSR, line display, etc. it can mess up the Radiant OPOS and I have found that even removing and reinstalling the Radiant OPOS sometimes won't fix it. But what will work is reinstalling the Radiant CCO (common control objects)

it is the fifth one on the list named OPOSCCOs-1_7_001.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back