Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operation defies configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkena

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2007
US
I have a Nortel BCM 400 with a Call Center and it continuously gives me problems despite being configured by 2 different pros. Calls sporadically get caught in endless loops when they should be kicked out to an external number in 3 minutes. Now, IP phones can't connect. When they used to yesterday. I'm going to restart the system and hopefully these problems will magically disappear for a few days.

Has anyone experienced problems like these with a BCM? Where the root causes found and resolved?

Thanks for your time.

You do not mention the age of the BCM or software release, so I am going to assume it is an older unit with older software or upgraded software, but the software is not as relevant as the age of the box.

Rebooting should clear the problem, however where I have seen these symptoms it has been a sign of the Base Function Tray beginning to fail and eventually if not corrected all functions depending on LAN connectivity will be lost ie IP, Call Center Host, access to the BCM for maintenance.

Please have your pro's look at the error and event logs if this persist as it will require Nortel support and your solution should be more permenant rather then a few days of crossed fingers, been there, seen the movie, got the t-shirt.

It's mostly patched. The phone guys recommended against patching it. I think I might have discovered the root cause. There are several IP phone users who sign in to the Call Center. At the end of their shift, they don't log out. The Agent audit report for one day was 500 pages long. While the IP phone was disconnected, the agent was still logged in from that phone and every 3 seconds they were busy/free. I have no we've started to demand that everyone signs out and there haven't been any problems.

That is, until today when I restarted the BCM and there were no free in/out lines. I restarted it again and the lines magically started working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back